Cooling down bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
Well it's been 90+ here for a couple days, and it's really stressing out the bunnies- and me. It's only April so I'm scared for the summer, and wondering if you guys have any tricks to cooling down bunnies that I don't already have- I usually end up using about a million things at a time when it gets to 100+.
First, no there is no way I can keep them inside or even in the garage. I have seven outside(two inside), there is just no room. I would if I could, but I can't. :/

The things I have used in the past
- Cold ceramic tiles
- Ice bottles (I have the cutest picture of Toby today with his ice bottle, he likes to climb on it!)
- Oscillating fans
- Towels placed in ice water, then hanging in front of the fan/over a side of the cage
- Chunks of ice just placed in the cage, which a few of them love to push around and lick XD
- Bunny pops! ((fruit/veggies frozen in ice))

Of course their cages are out where they can get a breeze ((we got a new structure built that's basically just a roof and some 2x4's to rest the cages on, but I love it)), and the cages are mostly shaded throughout the day.

Any other tricks you guys use? I know there's no magical way to do it, but I feel like what I'm doing isn't enough.

If they have a hutch, and your fan is blowing into the hutch, have another blowing out to get the air moving. That's what my mom would do in our house, and the hot air never settled long enough to cause agony.

I like the bunny pop idea, btw. I never thought to use my juicer for something like that. :)

Question: If you have a fan or anything how do you protect the hutch from catching on fire? I've been wondering about this and how stables avoid electrical sparks. I would like to put one in the cage when I move, since it's so hot and humid in Georgia, but I'm scared of a bunny roast.

Bunnyrabbits.comhas battery operated fans and reusable ice packs that connect to the fans. I don't know if they are electric or not but it's somethig I plan on investing in besides the regular fans I already have.

Ponyta- They're in all-wire cages(with something solid to rest on, no worries), so the air can move through them no problem. :)
And I've actually never heard about sparks from fans, only heat lamps. Is it really a big problem? I have my fans in a little NIC cube covered in plastic except the front & bottom, and the plugs are all covered, but I still take them out when it rains.

LindyS- I like those! I'll see if I can buy some, or rig something up similar to that.

It's a big safety concern in barns because of the cobwebs and the hay. I don't want to worry you or anything. I think It would be a concern if it were a wood hutch, but since it's not no worries.

I think I would like to try one of those battery operated ones.

We don't have our fans inside the cage, but on the outside and underneath. I place the fans that blow up through the floor, in the middle or at one end. They stay pretty clean since the rabbits poop and pee in the corner. The cords areplugged in to an outlet with a ground fault protector so if by chance water touches the plug (which isn't often) then the power to all the fans shuts off.

I also put ice cubes in their water bowls so it cools the water they drink. When its very hotwe have a few who love to stick their front feet in the cool water to help them cooldown. I will also dip my hand in the cool water and rub up and down their noses. They like the rub and the breeze on the wet fur also helps.

Latest posts

Back