Cookie & Twix (aka Cream!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie2006

Reaction score
I thought I would start one of these bunny blogs. I love looking at pics of other peoples rabbits and this is the perfect kind of place to show off my 2 bunny's without starting a new thread everytime.

Right, I am a 28 year old stay at home mummy from the UK. I have 4 kids, 2 sons who are 5 and just turned 2, a netherland dwarf buck called Cookie who is 1 and a loinhead doe called Twix (aka Cream!) who is 3.

We came about our rabbits by chance really. I have had rabbits before, when I was a kid, but haven't had any pets for years, not since my hamster died when I was 19. Hubby & I were discussing what we should get for our sons 5th Birthday. Now before you all gasp in horror, thinking that these poor rabbits will soon be back in a shelter, this is certainly not the case. We decided against getting him a rabbit for his birthday, but did go to a shelter and picked Cookie out and introduced Connor to him on his birthday (26th May). We explained to Connor that he is our family pet, not his and that mummy (that would be me!) would do most of the work in looking after them and caring for them. Less than a week later, I noticed an add on a white pages board I use, saying that a lady had a 3 yr old white lionhead doe that needed re-homing. I thought of this poor rabbit, who may end up in a shelter, so I told hubby that I was going to pick her up, after all, she was free and came with her hutch.

Cookie, is a beautiful rabbit. He has been in a shelter all his life and when we got him, it was obvious that he had never been out of his hutch or allowed to run free. The first time I took him outside, he had no idea what to do and he laid down, hiding behind one of my plant pots for more than an hour before I tok him in again. Since then, he has come on in leaps and bounds (hehe!). He doesn't like being picked up so I normally wait until he hops into his carrier to take him outside, or take his whole hutch outside. It is an arrangement that we are both happy with. He is learning to enjoy the boys and often encourages them to play tag by going up behind them and butting their legs, lol! He is also becoming more trusting. He will allow a little stroking now, I got to give him a nose rub for the 1st time yesterday and he will now eat from my hand. I took him to be neutered on Tuesday and he is recovering really well, it was hard to keep him queit for 48 hours, he was raring to go. He is such a fantastic boy, with a beautiful personality.

Twix is a quiet girl. It is taking her alot longer to settle into family life with us. I am guessing it's because she was always kept outside on her own. She will tolerate being picked up and stroked.....if you can catch her first. She prefers to keep away from the boys, although seems to like Cookie. When she arrived with us, I found that she had not been spayed, so that was the 1st thing on my to do list. Perhaps this is why she is not very trustful of us! Within 3 1/2 days of her arriving we had her down the vets and undergoing an invasive operation. She did have some complications, but her recover has gone well and she is feeling much better now, almost 3 weeks later.

It is my wish to try and bond them when they have both recovered sufficiently and Cookie's hormones have died down. He's a real boisteous one! They seem to like each other. They have been introduced to each other, especially if they are enjoying outside play at the same time. We will have one in the run and the other having free run of the garden. They haven't been fighting through the wire at al, so I hope this is a good sign of things to come.

Anyway, I bet you are all wondering where the pics are?! Without further ado, here they are!

Cookie2.jpg

IMG_5814.jpg

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5900.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

Hi, I've been waiting to see pictures of these two little beauties. I did a search yesterday of cookie2006 looking for pictures. I fell in love with your avitar. He's sooooooo cute.

Boy are they lucky you took the two of them in.

I love the pictures of them sniffing each other thru their pen.

Soooska:apollo:

Your buns are sure lucky that you found them!! No doubt they will have a much happier lives thanks to you and your family!! Great pictures!! Keep them coming!!!

Thanks to you, Cookie and Twix are destined tohave a good life together. :love:

Cookie is just like my Pebbles with shorter ears. They both have the same Agouti Chestnut colour.
Twix is a sweetheart. :bunnyheart

Rainbows! :)

I have just let Twix outside to have a run around (it was Cookie's turn yesterday) and I noticed straight away that she isn't bearing any weight on her back left leg. I picked her up immediately and noticed that one of her toes (?) is sticking out at an unnatural angle, like she has caught it in something and pulled it. My poor baby :( We are off the vet shortly, her appt is in 45 minutes.

I will update when I return.

I hope Twix is all right.

The picture where they are both sticking their noses through the wire to each other is adorable. And I love the tongue picture, of course! I've been trying forever to get one. Its so great that you were able to rescue them. I hope the bonding goes well. They should make a great couple.

Lissa

well, it's not great news from the vet. Twix has either dislocated, broken or both, one or 2 of the toes in her back left foot. Unfortunately, the swelling is bad, so the vet could not be certain and she wants to talk with the head vet who is in tomorrow. So the plan of action is: I take her back in the morning, they will perform an x-ray and then possible amputation of the toe(s)if they can not be mended. I feel so sad for my little princess as I have NO idea how this happened to her.

I will try and post some more pics later

Oh my. Poor Twix. I hope her toes can heal quickly. Good thing you got her to the vet so fast. Make sure you give her some cuddles.

Lissa

Sorry to hear about little Twix's toe :-( I hope it can heal alright. I just fell in love with Cookie when I saw this pic:

IMG_6173.jpg

He is soo adorable! And Twix with the little afro! How cute.

Its so great that you have given these two a home. They are so very lucky. I hope your bonding goes well when both are feeling better! If they're touching noses through the cage like that without any signs of aggression, I'd say bonding wont be too difficult. If you have questions, I'd be happy to help..I got two boys who wanted to kill one another to be best buds!

Good Luck!

Haley

:bunnydance: We think that Twix will be just fine. I took her back to the vet this morning, but after the head vet checking it out, he decided to try and let it heal first. He did not want to knock her out unless it is absolutely necessary. When he called, he said that he decided to take her out into their garden and observe her with no interference to see what she did. He said that she was hoping around quite happily. Hopefully once the swelling goes down her toe may settle back into it's usual position or she may be just fine like that. We only need to take her back if we think she is in pain or if the toe keeps getting in the way or caught on things. He also thinks it would be ok to introduce Cookie & Twix for short periods of time as they seem to get on. He said that as she is spayed and healed, there will be no harm if Cookie does mount her as there is no guarenteee that waiting 6 weeks will help the urge to mount to diminish.

All in all it is good news!! She is happily enclosed in the run outside, hopping around and eating grass.

Here'sthe pics I said I would post:

I can see a recurrent theme here, lol! My little lazy princess!

IMG_6486.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6485.jpg

A close up of her asleep in her hutch. What a cute little mouth & nose!

nose.jpg

Her poor foot:

IMG_6496.jpg

Cookie!!!

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6472.jpg

Disapproving of me taking his pic:

IMG_6474.jpg

Can you see me?

IMG_6475.jpg

Mmmmm, dandelion leaves!

IMG_6478.jpg

Glad to hear little Twix will be okay. Keep us posted :)

I love this pic of Cookie:

IMG_6474.jpg

He looks like he does not approve of this photo session and is plotting his revenge

:)

Keep the pics coming!

-Haley

I have started the bonding on the advice of our vet. I think it is going well. Today is their second date! The first day, Cookie spent the whole time mounting, chasing an being amourous with Twix. He was also bting her neck alot, or at least that's what it looked like from where I was. The fur was flying, literally.

Today was their second date. It started a little differnt tody, he did greet her head first, lol! He then spent the first 5, maybe 10 minutes in much the same way and then........ he laid down by Twix. I say laid down, what I mean is sprawled on his side. I have never seen him look so relaxed. He sprawled and she groomed. While she was grooming, Cookie got up and I think, gave her a little lick! They then spent another 20 minutes or so, chasing each other, investigating each other, eating grass, hopping in and out of each others hutches and just following each other around. I think that Twix manages to evade any more amourous mounting from Cookie. I hope that cookie learns to stop trying to bite her and actually start grooming her instead, although, he is definately the dominant bunny, next to me that is, lol!

I will have to try and get some photo's of them together tomorrow

Ah, found some pics! I have no new ones of Twix right now, but found one from about a month ago of Cookie, holed up under our recliner and one from the other day in his new new hiding spot!

IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_6532.jpg

Sounds like things are going well.

Come on, Cookie.
If you don't bond with Twix, You're going to miss out of a good thing. :love:

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back