Cookie (5 month old lion head x) not excited to eat this morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is pretty much my first "sick" post about Cookie. A little background info about her:

She was found outside in Dec, and we estimated her to be able 4 weeks old. She made it through, and is about 5 months now. All has been well- she was treated for coccidia back in Dec/ Jan time. The meds worked, and shes clear of parasites now. Shes been great up until this morning. Usually shes running circles around me for her pellets, and then jumps in her litter box right after to have her breakfast hay. She was less then enthusiastic to eat this morning, but did eat her pellets. She didnt jump her in litter box right away to eat her hay. She did eventually go in about 20 minutes later, munched a bit, did a pile of poo- maybe about 10 poos, and then went and layed down. Ok- so happy that she pooped! But, she just seemed a bit lethargic. Not running up to me, and standing on her hind legs. Shes more like a dog, then a bunny.

Anyways, I offered her some alfalfa hay, which normally she goes nuts for (I always sprinkle it on her timothy hay, since shes still a young bun). She didnt want it, which was alarming of course. So I decided to open up her bunny gate from her pen, and let her run around the house. She did come out, and has been running and exploring. Shes actually sitting beside me on the sofa right now as I write this.

I also tried to medicate her- she wouldnt take simethicone, metacam, or cisapride. My other buns gobble it up right from the syringe. I tried to restrain her, but she fought me and won...

So my question is, do I take her to the vet, since she is running around, and exploring? Or do I wait it out, and she how she does? Im supposed to be going out for the afternoon... Ill be gone for at least 4 hours or so... Its the long weekend as well, and my bunny vet will be away for the weekend. I dont want to stress her out transporting her to the vet, if I dont have too... And i will cancel my plans and stay home with her if I need too.

Any suggestions would be great.

"Signed: panicked mum"

Felix has had a few spells where he seemed less energetic all of a sudden - it tended to pass in 1-2 days, and he continued to eat/drink/poop the whole time. Clementine also has that right now, when she's started to get hormonal. Cookie would be around the time where her hormones are kicking in; perhaps it could have something to do with that? I probably wouldn't think a vet visit was necessary if she's still eating/drinking/pooping, and if she's still exploring around the house, but if you'd feel more comfortable getting the all clear from a vet then by all means take her in. :)

Latest posts

Back