Contradictory Info On fruits/veggies/nutrition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see anything particularly contradictory. The lists aren't identical, but that doesn't mean either of them is wrong. Just that some include some things and some don't. you can't feasibly list everything.

In general, the House Rabbit Society is a pretty good source.

Do you have any examples of what seemed so different between the two articles? I'm just not sure what you're talking about.

Thanks for replying.I do not have time to go all the way through and read what jumped out at me, but there were some differences. Here are some examples.
From rabbit.org~
Note that kale, which is often implicated as a high oxalate food is actually very low in oxalates
A rabbit's GI tract is not the same as a human's and many of the foods that may cause gas in a human do not cause gas in a rabbit.
[*]Banana (remove peel; no more then about 2 1/8 inch slices a day for a 5 lb rabbit…they LOVE this!)

The mybunny site said bananas should only be given occasionally as a treat, not daily.
I know one site said carrot tops are ok, the other site said to avoid them unless organic, due to how pesticides are used on them since that is the part above ground.
The mybunny site said veggies that cause gas in humans will do the same to your bunny. As you see above, the rabbit.org site said there is a big difference between our gastrointestinal system and a rabbit's.

Banana is still a safe fruit. All fruit should be a treat.

Just feed kale sparringly to be safe. Its still a safe veggie.
Veggies that cause gas in humans are the same in bunnys, bunnys are a lot different they are a lot more sensitive.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=17
Have a go through our library, there are lots of safe fruit and veggie and nutrition topics in here you can follow.

All bunnies are different. Just like people. You need to observe your bunny to see what they like and dislike, what is good for their system and what gives them problems. Just like people.

These are only guidelines, not set in stone. Get to know your bunny, like your own system and all should be well.

K:)

It definitely depends on your bun as an individual and what's available in your area. As long as you are feeding a pellet to cover your major nutrient requirement bases, you really can be pretty flexible with your veggies as you get to know what does and doesn't work for your bun.

I agree with ZRabbits.

The general rule is too much of anything is never a good thing. My buns don't get commercial treats nor cereals etc. I treat fresh fruit as if it were candy or dessert due to its high content in natural sugars. Therefore, it's not a must that they have it everyday and they just enjoy it more when they do get it.

Herbs are great and lettuces (with the exception of iceberg) are also great. I usually give them this as a base and thenadd other veggies to it in rotation. Just like making a salad really, you have your base and then you add small things in to give it that extra boost.

Like ZRabbits said, what works for other bunnies might not necessarily be what's best for yours. Plus, as you can see, it's really hard to get people to agree on the proper way to feed them. It's the samewhen it comes toparents with their kids. You'll have to test out some things, see if some items cause more of a problem than others, see what is available to you etc. In the end, it's good to have a general idea of what veggies are high in what, but don't forget that even if they are high in this, they are often high in something else which can also be beneficial. You just have to remember to space it out and not give huge amounts of certain things.

If you keep an eye on their output, so pee/poop, that will help too. The urine will change if there is too much calcium and too much sugar often leads to mushy poops. If you start having to deal with gas a lot, you'll need to evaluate the food items and see if there's something your bun is more sensitive to. Most buns do well though but if your bun isn't used to it, taking is slowly will help you test things out better and avoid discomfort to your bun as well. :)

Thank you Christina, and Nela. I found a nice organic salad mix with different herbs and lettuces yesterday. I have parsley and mint growing, and my neighbor has all kinds of great veggies and herbs growing.{no pesticide} We share a lot.
:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back