Continued battle with head tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdailey

Reaction score
Willow has made some progress with her battle but I now have a new concern. She finished her antibiotics 2 days ago and now is just taking the Panacur. Appetite is good and she grooms herself regularly but she is rolling more than ever. Mostly when she makes a big move like balancing on her hind legs to groom her backside or leaping into her litter pan (even though I cut down the side to about 2") but occasionally for what appears to be no reason at all. When I asked the vet about continuing the antibiotic (Septra) or he said he saw no point if she wasn't sneezing or there was no discharge but would refill it if I felt it was necessary. Not sure if I am overreacting so I thought I would once again call on the experience of this phenomenal resource to see what you think I should do? Is this something to worry about or just another part of this roller coaster?

I'm afraid I don't have any advice to give on this matter as I'm not too familiar with the process for fighting tilt, but I'm sending well wishes your way.

Septra isn't a very modern antibiotic and it's not the best choice for head tilt. I would ask for a stronger antibiotic like injectible penicillin, or azithromycin. If your vet isn't willing to try different antibiotics, I'd look for another vet.

When my bun had head tilt, it took her a week or so to get over,
Unfournqtely, you just have to let it go at the moment, if it doesn't go away in another two to three days, back to the vets,

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

Tony's human - she is off all of the antibiotics at this point and other than the tilted head and occasional roll or two she is thriving. My guess is that at 5 weeks in the tilted head is permanent which is fine as she seems to be adapting to her new situation. I had asked for a stronger antibiotic weeks ago but was told that the risk was not worth the possible reward which I did not necessarily agree with but as long as there appeared to be improvement daily (albeit small) I was hard pressed to argue. After reading numerous articles and posts I guess the rolling that had me so concerned a few days ago is par for the course. Even now when I put her down and she would normally roll I have found if I brace her for a couple of seconds she gets her bearings and hops away almost normally. Should I ever encounter this situation again (and I am sure I will given that I am a bunny nut for life) I will ask about the stronger antibiotics in the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to reply :).

Latest posts

Back