Contemplating rabbit showing...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelightfulEccentricity

Reaction score
Next spring, I was planning on acquiring a show-quality Afghan Hound pup...and due to some medical issues I simply am not yet up to showing a dog, much less an Afghan. I miss showing...when I was younger, I showed horses, and I still attend horse shows and dog shows just to watch and enjoy the atmosphere...it is like a little mini-vacation for me.

Since it'll be a couple of years before I can have my Afghan, a friend at work recommended I consider showing a rabbit. Obviously my little unregistered Rexes can't be shown, and that's fine...they're dandy little pets and that's all I ask of them. :) However, I'd be happy to have a little show bunny in the house...but I'm new to rabbits PERIOD, I don't know how well I'd do showing a rabbit. I have a few questions...

...first, my friend says that rabbit showing isn't all that hard and that I could have as fair a chance as anyone if my rabbit is of good quality. I know some breeds of dog don't win in the ring without the right handler, or the right reputation...are there any breeds of rabbit to avoid for these reasons? What would be a good choice for a beginner?

...second, are there really plenty of rabbit shows out there? I'd love to attend one or more a month but I'm unsure about distance...I can't take much time off of work and can't afford to drive too terribly far, I'd prefer all shows I attend be in-state. Is there some official listing somewhere of all shows and when?

...and third, what does one do to prepare a bunny for showing, anyways? I've groomed and shown dogs and horses, and this year I've been studying cat grooming (not for the faint of heart! O.O) but other than trimming their nails and petting them, I don't know what specifically to do as far as bunny-grooming. Also, I know that a lot of training goes into dogs and horses, do rabbits need training for show? How exactly is their conformation judged?

Thanks so much for any information, and I'm sorry if I sound like some kind of insane newbie. :p

I am not sure if breed really have anything to do with it. Some breed may win more in same areas, but that can just be due to the number of breeders (and rabbits) in the area and the quality of the rabbits. Rabbit shows are supposed to be about the rabbit not who bred them or who owns them. The owner of the rabbit is not supposed to give any indication they own that rabbit when they are bring judged. In a horse or dog show, you do tend to know the owner and the handler can make a difference, in rabbits shows all rabbits should be judged the same without the pressure of who owns what.
Some breeds are more competitive due to the numbers. You may want to choose a breed that is more competitive as you can win more legs this way. On the other hand, less competitive breeds can be good too for the challenge and the wins can mean more. Some breeds are easier to care for and others require more work (the angoras for one). I would recommend you find a breed you like and can care for since you will have to live with it. Since you have rexes, you may consider getting a nice show quality one.

The number of shows really depends on where you are. Around here there are like 4-6 a year and even then you end up having to travel if you don't live close. Some places seems to have a couple a month from the various clubs in the area. You would really need to just find out what it is like in your area.

As far as grooming, most rabbits don't need much. Just trim the nails and give them a quick brushing. The angora breeds need to have their coat blown out on a regular basis to keep up with the grooming. Some other longer furred breeds require more regular grooming and may need some more brushing right before the show. One thing to know is you cannot put anything in the coat that can alter the appearance of the rabbit, even conditioner is frowned upon. You can use water in a spray bottle, but that is it. If you have to use anything for stains, it should be done at home before you leave.
You do need to get the rabbit to be able to pose. This can help them do better if they will just sit still the right way. Each breed is a bit different, so you will have to learn to pose your rabbit. I think that most rabbits who meet the standard can pose naturally, it just helps if they will do it more 'on command' at a show.

Unlike horse or dog shows, rabbits do not need to be registered to be shows. They do need to meet the breed standard and technically don't need to be purebred. You can register a rabbit once they are 6 months old, but they have to meet the breed standard and cannot have any disqualifications. There are also other requirements related to the pedigree and you must be an member of ARBA. I would not worry too much about this right away, but keep it in mind.
Rabbits can get a Grand Championship. In shows they can get legs if they win and there are at least 5 rabbits entered by at least 3 exhibitors. A rabbit needs 3 legs to be granded. They much also be registered for it to be official. There are people who will wait until a rabbit has 3 legs before registering them and them just do all the paper work at once.

If you can, go to a show without any rabbits. This can help you figure out what is going on and you won't be stressed by dealing with your rabbits. Most shows allow the public to come, but double check to make sure as some can be restricted for some days. Shows are great to see many breed and meet breeders. You may find a breed you really like and can then get the breeders contact info and maybe buy one later on. Breeders do tend to sell at shows, so if you are serious bring a carrier with you. If you have a carrier, you won't need it but if you don't have one you will find the perfect rabbit.

Showing rabbits is not as complicated as showing a dog or a horse, but it can still be confusing if you don't' know what you are doing. Learn as much as you can and ask questions when you need to. Most rabbit people are friendly and want to help. Do keep in mind that some can be stressed at a show, so try to wait until someone has a bit of down time.

You are in the heart of rabbit shows. District 8 (Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Manitoba and Ontario) make up a large portion of the membership of ARBA. It actually the district with the most members! :))

To see what shows are near you....

www.arba.net
Member Resources
Shows
Show Search

We put up a lot of show catalogs on the District 8 website. :)

www.arba.net/district/8

Otherwise you were given a good amount of information. :) Join ARBA. Find a breed and join their clubs too. You'll get a lot of information!

If you have a weekend open, the ARBA National Convention is October 28th to November 2nd in Indianapolis, IN at the county fairgrounds. There's no cost to get into the showroom but there is a fee to park on the fairgrounds. You'd see a large amount of rabbits there... their last convention at this location had a good 24,000 rabbits of all breeds. It's not that far! Next year it's in Kansas.

Thank you both, I can't thank you enough for the info. The more I read and ask of those I know who are into rabbit showing, the more I think I'd like it. :) I'd definitely want to attend a show before getting a show bun, though.

Regarding the ARBA National Convention, though...my work schedule is made out several months in advance, and since weekends are our busiest days and I'm a faster groomer than most of the others (and can therefore take on more dogs and cats than some others) I work basically every weekend for the foreseeable future. If I drove down on, say...a Wednesday or Thursday, would there still be things going on and rabbits to see and breeders/showers to ask questions of?

The rabbits have to be in by Saturday (October 29) eveningby 6 pm and are releasede on Wednesday (November 2) at 7 am. So to answer your question, The show will be over and the showroom closes at 4 pm that day. Not a day to visit. If you can't do the weekend, Monday or Tuesday could still be an option.

I would recommend Netherland Dwarfs or Holland Lops for showing. They are small and easy to maintain and also easy to find because they are popular pets. Depending on your area and if they are around, I would pick Holland Lops out of the two because they are friendlier!
I have been raising Hollands for years now and entered one into a show and got 2nd place on my first time! The judges judge the rabbit only because the owner does not touch the rabbit during judging, you don't need to walk the rabbit back and forth like dogs.

Best of luck!

But also can be the most expensive breeds when they are much popular, And it will be also the hardest to get winnings from because they are so popular unless you want to spend alot to get a nice start

Ech, I'm not one who gets too discouraged by losing a lot. ;) I've shown other critters and honestly, you lose more than you win most of the time. The fun for me is the atmosphere, the ability to share a common interest with a lot of people, being around really amazing animals, and if I happen to have a win pop up then that is icing on the cake!!! :D

Also, the pricetag doesn't worry me too much. I was after all prepping to buy a show-quality Afghan, which would not be cheap. Compared to the base cost of my next dog, the cost of a good bunny is practically nothing. Not that I'm made of money, mind you, but I know that to get a good critter you have to accept that the value of the critter might be more than the average person would pay. :p

Latest posts

Back