Constantly biting/digging at me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
So my bun will bite me/my clothes all the time. Like whenever he is near me, that's what he is doing. He will dig at my back and it's super frustrating. I've tried screaming "ow Bugs no" but he will stop for a few seconds and then go right back to doing this. It isn't just me he does it to. He will do it to my sisters and my mom. Pretty much whoever he can get to. How can I get him to stop?

When he does this squeal very loudly to let him know he is hurting you, just say "ow Bugs no" doesn't tell him you are hurting. When rabbits are in severe pain they scream so squealing mimicks the screaming that they do. Also, I had two rabbits that would do the same. One only did it when I had a shirt with raised lettering on it, when I didn't she didn't do it, my other rabbit only did it when I had flannel PJ pants on (not the patttern the fabric), I added it up to be they thought it was hurting me or something so when I had them out I made sure I wasn't wearing either of these, maybe you all are wearing something he thinks is hurting you.

He’s telling you to GIVE HIM ATTENTION RIGHT NOW. I can’t remember, is bugs neutered? That can certainly make a difference. Otherwise, does he get lots of attention and interaction? My bunny will dig at me more if I’ve been out all day and she is just desperate for cuddles, on days I am able to give her more time her behaviour is 100x better. Maybe that’s just her.

Yes he is, he got neutered a month ago. I try to give him as much attention I can, and he is free range in my room so he is always near me. He does stop when I start petting him so that could be the issue. I'm looking into getting him a friend to keep him company. I will try to give him more attention until then.

If you lived closer, I would suggest a meet and greet. I have to rehome my mini rexx (she is neutured and very friendly) = but my lop is so aggressive - I have a fence down the middle of my room.

My bun will pretty much only do this when I'm in his way but after I say "hey!" Loudly and sternly he will stop. Maybe the squeeling may help

Personally I've never found the squealing to work for me, but its worth a try if others have had success with it. Yep ^ same here that mine used to do it when I was in her way, but she stopped that after being spayed. Now its purely for attention. I would imagine getting him a friend to pester instead will help with that.

My doe also do this to me, when she try to get my attention. Nothing really work tried everything, the result was bruises after being bitten by her.

For me a friend rabbit didn’t help because both rabbit started to fight for my attention when I’m with them, it’s more like my doe hate it when the other rabbit get attention while she’s on the side. She wants all the attention she can get, a spoiled cute lady.

Hope everything works with your buck ^^

Bunnies bite to get you to leave them alone. When your bunny attacks, you have to show it who is boss. I know this sounds mean but... show it you are boss by picking it up, squishing it against you and carry it around. Eventually, it will realize you are not a threat and you are the boss. Another trick that works is to do the dominance routine on the bunny head. H0ld the head down and tap softly with your palm. Then, next time, put your hand into the cage without reaching for the bunny. When he digs at your back, squish him close and don't let him go. Make sure he knows you are the boss, so to speak, but without hurting him. This won't work with all bunnies, but for most, it seems to help.

show it you are boss by picking it up, squishing it against you and carry it around. Eventually, it will realize you are not a threat and you are the boss.
How will picking up a prey animal and carrying it around teach it you are “not a threat”? This is bad advice. If your bunny is attacking because it wants to be left alone... leave it alone. Not to mention the fact that we don’t want bunnies to think of being picked up as a punishment as we need to be able to pick them up safely to give health checks, nail trimming, or put into a carrier etc for trips to the vet. Picking a rabbit up should only be done when necessary.
In the case of @Alyssa and Bugs♡ my understanding is that it isn’t an attack when you enter the cage, but that he comes over to you and digs and bites and then stops when you give attention? That to me is a very clear indicator that he is demanding your attention!
I’m persoanally not a fan of negative reinforcement, because although an animal might stop doing the undesired behaviour, they are doing it because they are scared or don’t want the negative reaction, and it doesn’t promote a particularly positive relationship between you. I prefer to redirect them to something positive - e.g. my bunny who digs at the door every morning for breakfast: I could go and “show her who is boss” or I could block off the door and provide a digging box for her to vent her frustrations in (which is what I have done).
However, if you do wish to go down the punishment route, I know some members have had success with the holding the head down technique like @A_Ponderance described. This works because that is what bunnies would do to each other when establishing dominance.

Last edited:
I do agree with positive reinforcement also. He doesn't attack me, he just wants my attention is what I've concluded. I will dedicate more time to him for pets, love, and kisses.

I do agree with positive reinforcement also. He doesn't attack me, he just wants my attention is what I've concluded. I will dedicate more time to him for pets, love, and kisses.

Just make sure you don't do it right after he's nipped or dug at you, or you'll be rewarding the unwanted behavior.

Latest posts

Back