Constant Molting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieHarley

Reaction score
One of my rabbits I have had for three years and for the lat year and a half it seems like she is constantly molting. Her coat is never clean and smooth and she always has some clumps near her rear end (sometimes it is worse than others). I try to help her out and brush/pet her till they fall out but it's never completely smooth.

She's not really overweight and is fairly active so I don't know if it's just her mix (she's a mutt) or if she doesn't know how to groom herself.

Anyone else have this issue?

My other rabbit is usually pretty smooth and doesn't have issues but I've noticed he is also getting a little lazy grooming wise so maybe the other is teaching him bad habits?

Any advise is much appreciated! I love them both regardless of how their fur looks but I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks!#

I have the same thing going on with my rabbits. My vet recommends plain rolled oats. About 1 tsp or so a day seems to make a huge difference with my little guy. The only thing I have noticed though, is that the oats are very dry, so when my bunny gets really excited about eating them, he chokes. Maybe mix into pellets so they can't "inhale" them like my crazy man.

I have the same thing going on with my rabbits. My vet recommends plain rolled oats. About 1 tsp or so a day seems to make a huge difference with my little guy. The only thing I have noticed though, is that the oats are very dry, so when my bunny gets really excited about eating them, he chokes. Maybe mix into pellets so they can't "inhale" them like my crazy man.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will have to try it!

A rabbit can look scruffy if not grooming properly, but this usually only occurs due to health issues. If the scruffiness is due to molting, this isn't a grooming problem.

What is your rabbits diet like? When a rabbit molts, it needs higher protein to help with hair regrowth, so maybe your bun isn't getting enough protein in her diet, thus delaying the hair regrowth and prolonging the molting cycle.

Latest posts

Back