considering moving rabbits outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
Hello,

Like the topic said I am considering moving Lulu and Zeppelin to the large deck off my room. The deck has completely solid walls so they couldn't slip through the cracks and fall. Its on a second story so I think that will protect agaisnt most animals getting up there. That being said, they would never be outside their cage unless im home to supervise.

The deck is right off my bedroom, so they would get the same amount of interaction as they do now. I could supervise them through the two glass doors. Their cage is homemade, but his has a solid top and floor with wire sides. I would give them a hiding box to run into and maybe cover half of it with a towel.

I want them to go outside in these warm months because I think they would like having easier access to the deck (where i let them play). It would be so nice for me just to open there door instead of taking them in and out.

Is there anything I should know about moving rabbits outside? Are housecats a big threat to rabbits? I dont have a cat, and its a second story deck, but I'm still concerned one could get up there.

I live in the country woods and my bun is in a safe hutch outside my bed room window. I've never had a prob. with him being in danger. Even my cat doesnt bother him. She is a major hunter (expecially now because shes trying to teach her kittens) but she doesnt attempt to bother him. Its like she knows he is a pet. I think with your situation you buns will be okay if mine is.

I read when its really hot out that you can but a frozen water bottle in the cage and they will lay with it and lick it. I do that for my bun when it gets on the hot side.

I think they would enjoy the larger area, with the cage as a refuge is they are scared. I would make sure the door to their escape root is just big enough for them, and not large enough to let a preditor in. As long as they have a shady and sheltered area to get out of the sun and wind, I think they should be fine.

this may be a stretch but what about hawks or some other predatory bird? i dont know if your buns are big or not but i'd be afraid of a hawk snatching my dwarf bun right off my deck :(

I'm not too concerned about birds of prey I live in a city, so I feel that the chances of one swooping down is lower. I understand it is a possibility, but my rabbits aren't super tiny. One is six pounds and the other is a large lionhead.

They arnt free on the deck unsupervised. If I was worried about birds they could never be outside ever, and I just don't think I can never let them see the sun for that reason.

Luluznewz wrote:
I'm not too concerned about birds of prey I live in a city, so I feel that the chances of one swooping down is lower. I understand it is a possibility, but my rabbits aren't super tiny. One is six pounds and the other is a large lionhead.

They arnt free on the deck unsupervised. If I was worried about birds they could never be outside ever, and I just don't think I can never let them see the sun for that reason.
Having worked with birds of prey of all different kinds (including ones taken from the wild), I can say with complete confidence that whether you live in the city or in the country is irrelevant if you have birds of prey in the area, and especially wild mature birds are more than strong enough to take a rabbit of that size (although they will seldom if ever snatch an animal away, they will take down prey where ever it is. I literally facepalm when I hear of the horror stories of a chihuahua/yorkie/spaniel being snatched away by a buzzard). It doesn't take much to protect against them, for me it wouldn't be worth the risk. Even in the UK I never put rabbits out in an open-topped run or garden, regardless of if they're under supervision or not.

Latest posts

Back