Considering having rabbit neutered...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's home now, hes quite quiet at the moment, eating his veggies tho.

Managed to get some metacam off the vets too, so pleased about that, and some of the dreaded baytril

He's a bit more lively now, even brought his hutch in the house tonight, in the cool kitchen.

He keeps eating so thats good, and he's drinking quite a lot too. Not seen him go to the loo yet tho, so keeping an eye on that.

You may want to try to get some probiotic like Fibre Plex or Bio Lapis to help with his GI tract--the stress of the neuter added to the Baytril could send his GI system out of whack.

Was considering buying some of that but its too late now, wouldn't come til after the weekend.

He's currently running round the kitchen pooing lol

He's only due a very small amount of baytril, 0.6ml twice a day, normally much higher than that, so I reckon we should be ok, we'll keep a close eye on him.

Yeah he's drinking and eating very well :) Infact he's drinking more than he normally does.

Do we have to think about him putting on more weight on after this or not? Just thinking about when dogs have this operation.

Where he had the op done, is healing well, but he has taken it upon himself to nibble it a bit!

Have bathed it with some plain water to keep it clean, but will keep an eye on it. He finishes his anti-biotics today.

This is a great discussion. We have been discussing whether to have little Jasper neutered. My husband was not too keen, however, I had noticed that his urine is starting to get a bit smelly. He also runs around our feet, we thought that was just him wanting food, but reading here, it sounds like some mating behaviours! He is only 3 and a half months old, the vet does not want to neuter him until he is 6 months, is this usual?

Hi again everyone,

Alex's testicles are completely gone now, I was checking everything was ok down there today, and had to clean him up a little. Not entirely sure what he had between his legs and genitals (in the tiny crevices between) but it looked like what I can only describe as a shrivvled up testicle. Anyway, cleaned him up and the skin underneath looked perfect, no sign of puncture or infection, but the stuff I took away did have a very weird smell. Any ideas?

Thanks

That'll be the secretions from his scent glands ;) They will be very smelly, they are ment to be. Unless they get over-active (prob unlikely as he is now neutered and have less of an urge to mark territory) you won't notice the smell unless you open up those crevices. Some people regularly clean them, some don't, I don't, and I don't notice any smell at all :)

Latest posts

Back