Considering a third bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa S

Reaction score
Hi all! I really want to adopt a third bunny bc I have the means and there’s just so many at the shelter... but I am a bit nervous and need help deciding. I have heard some stories of how the third bun ruined the current bonded pair and it just doesn’t work out long term? I currently have one male and one female/ spayed and neutered. I have an entire room for my bunnies and an attached outdoor space for good weather days(so plenty of space for 3). Who here has a trio? What are the pros/cons? What would be the best gender to adopt? My male seems to be friendlier overall and my female seems a lot more territorial and aggressive. Thanks for the help in advance!

It is not uncommon for a 3rd rabbit to break up an existing bond. Whether or not a trio can be successful really is up to the rabbits and their personalities. Typically it's best to have no more than 1 male or they will compete for the female(s). You'll want to consider whether you would be willing to separate everything into 3 separate areas and 3 separate everything, if they don't get along. If that isn't something you'd like to do, then don't risk it by trying to add a 3rd.

There is expert advice on bonding on the following site. They discuss Groups & Trios also, so you might want to take a read of that. Just look at the sidebar on the right to go directly to the section on Rabbit Groups & Trios (otherwise you'll be reading forever :) )
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Another option, if you have the space & means, is to create a completely other rabbit room (preferably not in sight or smell of the existing one). Then you could get another bonded pair and wouldn't have to worry about risking the existing bond.

Yes, it definitely depends on the personalities of them. I have a bonded pair and tried to introduce a third (female) and it made the male pick fights with the female he was bonded with. I was prepared for that and had room for another enclosure though. Have you checked for a shelter/rescue in your area that will help with bonding? Some will let you take your rabbits for “speed dating” to find the best match.

I would recommend a quad over a trio.

I was heedless of all that "break up a bond" and fell into the same "but I have the space for three and he needs a home"
So i take this little desperate rabbit in, he LOVES my pair. He is nothing but affectionate to them, and they hated him so much that the hate spilled over and they hated each other too. I had to rebond them (stressful) and then I had a little spare bunny that takes up another room in my house. I have 4 rabbits now and only 2 are bonded. It is an absolute nightmare.
I love them but sometimes it honestly is best to leave well enough alone.
My pair will attack each other if they can see the other rabbits. So I have to have them in separate rooms and a screen between the rooms, and a screen in the garden. It's a mad house

I've successfully done a trio (adding a male to 2 bonded females) in the past. No problems with it upsetting the pair, we just all had to teach Norman not to be a buttmunch.

We've currently got four... We got Barnaby for Nala after Layne passed away... Alice got spayed at the same time so there were thoughts of trying a trio after hormones were gone. We picked Barnaby out online and when we got to the shelter, this rotten little blue eyed Dutch with the sweetest little nose wormed her way into our hearts. I said no fourth bunny, no way... but when we went back the next day (there was a delay in adopting Barnaby), I caved and Harley Quinn came home with us too.

HQ and Barnaby got on so well so fast that they were fast-track bonded in mere days. Unfortunately, Nala gets along at first but in longer sessions eventually tires of the other bunnies and gets nippy. Alice is the biggest hold up, as she gets way too excited and demanding about wanting others to groom her and when they ignore her, she gets bitey and fights can ensue. So, we have a pair and two solos right now. It's never caused any rifts in the bonded pair to do trio or quad sessions.

I strongly recommend looking for a shelter that allows bunny dating. Failing that, know your pair's personalities and what would be a good fit (I picked Norman out without help, so it can be done). Every shelter I've been to allows exchanges for a certain amount of time and if they're bunny savvy then they should understand why a new bunny might not be bondable with existing ones.

Latest posts

Back