congestion & wet, bald chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soenso

Reaction score
My 4-year-old Flemish Giant sounds a little congested when she exhales. I also noticed a bald patch under her chin surrounded by wet fur. No previous health issues that I know of (she was a rescue at around 1 year old). She is still eating although possibly a little less than usual. Her hay seems to be largely untouched, and she sometimes leaves a little salad behind, but she still eats pellets and treats normally. No other strange behavior or problems. The only recent change in her life was that we got some backyard chickens, but she's a house bun and hasn't been out to see them or anything.

Please let me know if you've had a similar experience and what the outcome was.

The drooling (wet chin) and not eating hay could indicate a dental issue. I would advise getting her teeth checked by a rabbit savvy vet.

If the nose discharge is anything other than clear, that would indicate an infection -- need a vet for that as well.

OK, thank you. She doesn't have any nasal discharge, just a congested sounding noise when she exhales.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? We took her in twice for dental checks, once at a regular visit and once she was sedated. There is nothing wrong with her teeth that they could find. Her jaw was dislocated somewhat so they set that. Her energy is up and she seems much happier but she is still not eating much salad or hay. She's also still drooling. I don't know what else to do or where else to take her because this is the bunny vet in the area. I don't have a car or any money to speak of to take her far away or to keep going back for more and more visits, so I am hoping to get some specific suggestions I can ask about when I call the vet again. Please help, I really love this rabbit..

Latest posts

Back