confused

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyfarm

Reaction score
me and my sister who live seperately recently started breeding weve had a few succsesfull litters. when we breed, we breed @ least 2 rabbits @ the same time just in case something goes wrong we have a surrogate doe. we have 2 sisters who are blue lionheads who we bred to 2 different sires on the same day, after 10 days we pallpated n sure enough we felt tiny babies we were both over the moon!

they both started nesting the day before they were due, everything was going 2 plan. that was a week ago now !! i thought id pallpate again incase i was mistaken b4 or incase the doe absorbed them,but sure enough againthere are larger bumps and are adding to the nest all the time, so much so my poor baby is going bald !!!!

ive never heard of rabbits going over this much esspecially as its both rabbits,can any1 shed some light please

Do they seem distressed in any way? Have you checked for stuck kits? Are they first timers or experienced? Does can kindle anywhere from 28-36 days after breeding, so as long as they don't seem distressed, I wouldn't worry too much. If after a day or two, there's still no babies... I'd get them checked by a vet - Xrays or something like that - maybe there's only 1 or 2 babies and they've grown too big to attempt the birth canal?

On a side note, I currently have a doe (experienced) who's been alternately pulling fur and laying in her nestbox for 2 days now... But I've checked and all is well (no stuck kits or anything obviously out of the ordinary). She too is near completely bald on her belly and sides.

thanx 4 replying they are both 1st time mums how would i check 4 stuck kits ? is this a common problem with 1st time mums? theyre not distressed in anyway there 18 months old

If you're not too experienced with palpating, I would suggest getting them to the vet for Xrays. If you're fairly experienced, you should be able to feel any kits stuck in the birth canal by palpating closer to the pelvis.

What I'm more concerned about is that they are having their first litters at 18months old... there's potential for delivery complications with waiting that long to breed due to fat buildup around the uterus.

What exactly are you feeling? Does it feel like a largehard jawbreaker? or more like small/medium grapes?

jst checkt agen n theyre definatley grape feeling n there not low down at all 2day is day 35 so if nothing happens 2nite i'll take them 2 the vets 2moro afternoon

I think at this stage it would be better to feel for movement than shape. Hiccups, kicks, that sort of thing. Good luck. I hope all goes well

bojay wrote:
I think at this stage it would be better to feel for movement than shape. Hiccups, kicks, that sort of thing. Good luck. I hope all goes well
No, not necessarily... digestive movements could be easily confused for fetal movement.

At this stage, there would be a definate, hard to miss large Jawbreaker feeling (skulls). If she's not feeling this by now, then the does didn't take.

Latest posts

Back