Concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selbert

Reaction score
Last Wednesday I adopted a little 5 month old mini lop buck as a companion for my little doe (also only around 5 months old). They hit it off so well! Madly in love! Ate together, slept side by side (cage separating them) even pooped at the same time!
Dope (boy) was on muesli by his previous owner (I don't like muesli because it can lead to dental disease) but I had been mixing it with pellets so he can adjust. He always had plenty of hay and fresh veg and chomps plenty! Drinks well also, though doesn't eat many pellets.
Yesterday I took Dope to be fixed, everything went well. He got back and sulked for the night but by the morning he was his right old self! Even better he poops in the litter tray all the time now! Though he hasn't eaten any pellets since I brought him home. Lots of hay and veg and no pellets. Should I worry?
Also he hasn't seemed bothered about dog at all! He would never leave the side of the cage she was by before and now won't groom her through the cage like he used to. He's ignoring her!
Since I brought Dope down Dog (girl) hasn't binkied, thumped onto her side in that completely relaxed happy way. But is still happy, getting plenty of exercise and still affectionate towards me.
I know it's only been a day but will he love her again? Will she be okay in the transition? She's booked in to be neutered next week, will she lose interest in him?
I plan on bonding them in a month, after the hormones have subsided.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the essay!

You don't need to worry yet about the pellet eating. One of my rabbits would only eat leafy greens for two days, then gradually he started eating hay and pellets again. Pellets usually seem to be the last food rabbits go back to after surgery. Much better for him to be eating hay and veg. at this point anyways.

His behavior may be because he still doesn't feel a 100%, and her behavior may be because he smells different from being at the vet office. Just give them a few days.

I agree with JBun on all of it. If your bunny is eating anything its a good thing. I am sure that your bunny does smell differently to your girl bunny I would just give it some time.

I am sure that your bunny does smell differently to your girl bunny I would just give it some time.

As a note, once they're actually bonded, you'll always want to take BOTH to the vet even if only one needs to go in. Any good rabbit vet understands why you've got a tag-along. It can actually break a bond if you only take one of them to the vet and they come home to their bonded companion smelling like vet's office.

I didn't even think about vet smell! Thanks everyone for the advice, saw him eat a pellet today. This is my first bonding, I'm used to old rescue rabbits, and I've read so many stories of bad bonding I don't want to jeopardise their happiness!
I'll bring them both to the vet next time!

:happybunny:

This is my first bonding, I'm used to old rescue rabbits, and I've read so many stories of bad bonding I don't want to jeopardise their happiness!

It's worth noting that if bonding does end up going badly, you can separate the bunnies (different rooms, so they can't see or smell each other) for about a month to "reboot" the bonding process and get a fresh start :).

Oh lovely, thank you Imbrium! I was quite worried as they were like love at first sight, but they seem to be rekindling old feelings with the occasional grooming so I think I was worried over nothing!

The fact that they're both hormonal is also at play and could be affecting their interactions. Definitely too much going on right now to call it one way or the other, so play it by ear and don't stress! M/F bonds tend to be the easiest by far anyway, so the odds are in your favor :)

One last thing I forgot to mention - keep in mind that it can take as much as 6-8 weeks for a male's hormones to completely disappear and up to a month for a female. If you really want to play it safe, I would opt for little or no face-to-face (ie not separated by cages) interaction between the two until at least 3-4 weeks after her spay.

Latest posts

Back