Concerns about hay box?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am slowly trying to improve the area the buns have by buying or moving things around to see what works best and was looking for a hay box for the buns. One of the reasons why I wanted a hay box is because I notice that usually when the hay is in their litter boxes it tends to get a bit smelly after the pee and poo on it, and I do refill it everyday but I feel as if the litter box could last longer with me having a litter box and spot cleaning regularly.

I reached out to a person on Etsy and asked if they could make me a custom hay box to fit my needs- and he said yes.

I spoke to him about my measurements and he made an example of what it would look like (image below), but before buying one from him I would just like someone to answer my concerns (as the hay box is preeeeetttty pricey and I don't want to buy something that the buns won't end up using)

1) Will the buns have enough hay- the hay box I asked for is VERY large, but my concern is that the buns have to keep pulling the hay out of the holes, what if they are not able to pull the hay out and don't have access until I notice and pull it out?

2) Does a hay box really reduce hay wastage?

3) The buns have plenty of toys and things to nibble on- and I'd rather they not chew on a wooden litter box that was expensive and custom made- will they end up chewing on it?

4) I am rotating between hay suppliers trying to find a good quality source- I am 99% sure I have found a good place that gives hay but if they sell out (as they are a very small and popular brand) I will have to end up using other suppliers many of which make very short fat hay pieces- if that were to happen I can't really use the hay box can I?

5) Will the hay get 'stale'? If the hay box is large I'd assume that it would take them several days to finish a whole box, will it get 'stale' after sitting for a few days? I am planning to mix the hay around every now and then as well.

Thanks everyone <3

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 18.52.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 18.52.04.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
I understand the smelly hay in the litter box problem, Theo's litter box is the same way!

1) The rabbits will have enough hay. There are plenty of holes in the box for them to access the hay from.

2) There will still be wasted hay because rabbits are picky about their hay and like it perfect for them. There will not be as much wasted though because they will not be able to pee on it. Be prepared, the rabbits are going to keep pulling hay from the hole until they find a piece that they like, so there will still be extra hay in the litter box.

3) They will most likely chew on it, sorry. If you don't want them to chew on it spray some bad tasting spray (1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of alcohol, 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar, and juice from 1 lemon in a spray bottle; shake well) on the chosen chewing spots. You will need to reapply the spray every couple of weeks or when your rabbits start chewing that spot again. For a more permanent option put a piece of packaging tape over the chosen chewing spot.

4) If you can't get the hay you plan on getting, you can probably find a way to use the hay box. What if you stored cleaning supplies in it until you were able to get the hay again?

5) I don't think it will get stale because there is a lid on it. Add more hay and mix it all up every other day or so to make sure your rabbit has access to fresh hay.

I really love this design! I might make one for Theo ๐Ÿ˜Š

3) I don't know about other remedies, for me it works that I paint wooden things they are not supposed to chew with diluted rabbit urine, let it soak a little, rinse it and let it dry. I know very well how that sounds, but it isn't noticeable for human noses, and as far as my experience goes rabbits don't gnaw on soiled stuff easily, even if the smell is faint.

Since it's the litter box you're worried about that problem might quite likely resolve itself anyway.

To me I don't know if the design of that box will work all that well. The openings look small, they are set high up so there will be hay sitting at the bottom that your rabbits may not be able to reach, and the hay may not funnel itself to the openings for best access for your rabbits. I'm more in favor of open type hay racks, where the hay is easily accessed. And yes, your rabbits are likely to chew on it, though how much depends on the rabbit.

This is the hay rack that I made for my rabbits.
full

Hey guys,

I am slowly trying to improve the area the buns have by buying or moving things around to see what works best and was looking for a hay box for the buns. One of the reasons why I wanted a hay box is because I notice that usually when the hay is in their litter boxes it tends to get a bit smelly after the pee and poo on it, and I do refill it everyday but I feel as if the litter box could last longer with me having a litter box and spot cleaning regularly.

I reached out to a person on Etsy and asked if they could make me a custom hay box to fit my needs- and he said yes.

I spoke to him about my measurements and he made an example of what it would look like (image below), but before buying one from him I would just like someone to answer my concerns (as the hay box is preeeeetttty pricey and I don't want to buy something that the buns won't end up using)

1) Will the buns have enough hay- the hay box I asked for is VERY large, but my concern is that the buns have to keep pulling the hay out of the holes, what if they are not able to pull the hay out and don't have access until I notice and pull it out?

2) Does a hay box really reduce hay wastage?

3) The buns have plenty of toys and things to nibble on- and I'd rather they not chew on a wooden litter box that was expensive and custom made- will they end up chewing on it?

4) I am rotating between hay suppliers trying to find a good quality source- I am 99% sure I have found a good place that gives hay but if they sell out (as they are a very small and popular brand) I will have to end up using other suppliers many of which make very short fat hay pieces- if that were to happen I can't really use the hay box can I?

5) Will the hay get 'stale'? If the hay box is large I'd assume that it would take them several days to finish a whole box, will it get 'stale' after sitting for a few days? I am planning to mix the hay around every now and then as well.

Thanks everyone <3
I had the same issue and I had my husband make hay boxes for my girls. Iโ€™m not sure how much they are charging you but the ones I saw on Etsy were at least $75 so we made our own and it really saves the hay which saves you money. As you can see in my photo there are ones with bars instead of holes. If you like the holes you can request he makes them larger or just request bars. Also your bunny may like to work for it, some are more lazy so not sure how yours is :) Your short hay pieces are more likely to fall out of the bars than the holes so you may be better off that way. If youโ€™re worried about the gay getting stale you can put only what they will eat in that day.

Attachments

• A8FB90FA-08A0-4130-A346-68D0FD480DDB.jpeg
    A8FB90FA-08A0-4130-A346-68D0FD480DDB.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 10
The manger I made hangs on the outside of the hutch. Only screen keeps the hay from falling out. Doesidoe can easily get what she wants. Using a manger cut hay waste by a large amount. There is still some waste, she drops what she doesn't like. The manger also has a trough for pellets. I cut some of the screen back to make the access to pellets easier

.IMG_20200924_160252.jpgIMG_20200924_160309.jpg

Latest posts

Back