Concerned about Nero

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaymas

Reaction score
He's a 2.5 year old male lionhead. Last night we moved the rabbits to my place because Massimo's place is getting sprayed/dusted for bugs. They both seemed fine. Running around and eating, drinking and pooping normally. I heard them running around all night to.
This morning when I woke up to feed them, Nero was in a corner of the cage pressed into it as much as he could. When I went to feed them, Lupa came running as usual but Nero stayed in the corner, which is very unusual for him. I even got a separate bowl to put some veggies right beside him but he didn't touch them. I gave him a little bit of a papaya treat to see if he'd eat it and he did. Eventually he did eat a few pieces of lettuce.
He's still in the corner of the cage but every now and then moves to another corner. He let me pick him up which is also unusual but then started struggling which is very normal. I don't know how much water he's had or how much he's pooped in the last few hours. It looks like theres a decent amount in the litter box, too much to be made by just Lupa.
We were thinking it could just be nerves and/or stress from moving to a new environment and also hearing my dogs barking. He's never heard the dogs so he might be scared?

Does it sound like nerves/stress to you guys or something more serious?

This is typically how rabbits start acting when they have a tummy upset. It could be stress that caused it, or it could be something he has eaten. They'll stop eating and pooping. Is he grinding his teeth at all? If he's developed GI stasis it can be really serious. I would try some simethicone (infant gas relief drops). Dosage is 1cc every hour for 3 hours, then every 3-8 hours as needed. If he's not feeling any better and eating a little after a couple hours, or his condition gets worse, I would get him to the vet immediately.

It's possible that it could be something else, but this seems to be the most probable one. You can try giving him green leafy veggies to see if he'll eat anymore.

He seems to be doing a little better now. I gave him some pumpkin and he was eating that. I'll give him the gas drops though to just to be safe. Would he still be cleaning himself and contorting his tummy to reach his back if he had an upset tummy though?

It's impossible to say for sure but I would think it's more than just stress, though most likely partly stress imposed.

Is he usually timid? Is he grinding his teeth or sitting or lying in a weird position? Any other symptoms? Is there any way he could have hurt himself while jumping around all night?

His stomach could be upset from stress. When a bunny is exposed to stress bad gut bacteria start to grow very fast and over take the good bacteria which can cause problems. Since the other bunny is fine I would soak his droppings in a small amount of water and make the sick bunny drink it. I would also immediately start force-feeding and giving liquids. If there's no improvement in a few hours I would take him to the vet.

Good luck!

He is usually timid. He's not grinding his teeth or sitting weirdly. Theres no other symptoms that I see and I don't think he hurt himself. I've been trying to give him the gas drops but its impossible to get him so I can actually get the dropper in his mouth.

I would do the poop thing but I have no idea which poop might be his and which poop might be Lupa's

Latest posts

Back