Concerned about choking/aspiration pneumonia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynne2809

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a quick question about choking and aspiration pneumonia. Most of the things that I have read seem to suggest that pneumonia is pretty uncommon in adult rabbits and it is usually secondary to an upper respiratory infection they goes untreated or a choking event. My bunny has never choked before, but yesterday I was feeding him some fresh parsley and cilantro and he started to throw his head back a few times and paw at his mouth. He wasn’t making any choking sounds. Sometimes when he is eating, some of the fur on his chin or the sides of his mouth gets stuck in his mouth since he is a lionhead with long fur, so I believe that’s what happened and he was trying to get the fur out of his mouth. A minute or two later, he hopped away and he seemed fine. He seems fine today and he is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. He did sneeze a few times, but I’m not sure if that means that he could have aspiration pneumonia already. I know that aspiration pneumonia and pneumonia in general are pretty rare in adult rabbits, but I am always worried that my bunny will develop pneumonia. Should I be concerned that he could have aspirated and might get pneumonia?

Latest posts

Back