Concern about Lion and (Ur) Highness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamickoesther

Reaction score
We have two Lionhead rabbits that we purchased from Pets martial about 4 years ago. They had, formerly, lived on a farm. About a month ago or more, (Ur) Highness began to become extra extra " vocal"- I mean like boisterous. We noticed her brother continues to be quiet -never speaking. He only maintains his strong silent stance and .annerism unless stomping his food or giving you gazes. He did start to ram the cage repeatedly, when the children put two large stiffed animals, the size of the rabbits) in the cage. Is He okay?

We have two Lionhead rabbits that we purchased from Pets martial about 4 years ago. They had, formerly, lived on a farm. About a month ago or more, (Ur) Highness began to become extra extra " vocal"- I mean like boisterous. We noticed her brother continues to be quiet -never speaking. He only maintains his strong silent stance and .annerism unless stomping his food or giving you gazes. He did start to ram the cage repeatedly, when the children put two large stiffed animals, the size of the rabbits) in the cage. Is He okay?
Petsmart

Could you provide some more details? Are they both fixed? Do they live indoors? What is their housing setup like? How often are they let out of their cage? Can you provide a photo of their setup? Do they share the cage?

What do you mean by vocal? Grunting perhaps?

(As an aside, please only post one time on a topic and allow adequate time for a response. It is against forum decorum to duplicate posts. Your duplicate posts have been deleted.)

Hi. Thank you for your response and assistance. I noticed my correct type changed a few words. I hope to clarify. Both rabbits are in a large rabbit cage that you can get from the pets store. Sometimes, I enclose a child's play yard, in a rectangular shape, about that, so they have more room to run about. They are, presently, indoor rabbits. Lion does not stomp his food. He stomps his foot, when he perceive s danger or believe he does. They are both fixed, if I remember correctly. We got them from petsmart. They used to live on a farm. Yes, (Ur) Highness does various sounds, with her mouth, like a type of purring that sounds like gurgling or soft clicking, when happy. Like when she is about to eat. When she goes to groom Lion etc. She has always been the one with the most personality in her movement and behavior. Lion expressions tend to be more like looks, an occasional foot stomp, excitement when about to eat or play with his sister. But he is just about always, silent. He is VERY intelligent and aware, though. The same is the case with his sister. Like I said, she has become even more vocal, making more sounds, more often...over night. They are, both, sweet and affectionate, with each other and us. So, I just want to see if his lack of sounds...most time is normal. I mean, is it that he just has nothing to say? Does he just prefer not to talk? P.S. I think this is the first time that I ever wrote in your group. I was notvtrying to distespect rules I am not aware of them and did not know they existed. Honestly, I , personally, find this site hard to follow. Meaning, I do not find it user friendly, for me. It is one reason I never wrote anything. Also, are there dues? My income, presently, is zero to low, back and forth, right now. Well, thank you for your help, again.

I hope you can see the pictures. Highness has the small mane of hair at the back of her neck, the nape. Lion has the full mane...not large right now. They just finished shedding. They, also, are talked to, sang to and held by my adult kids, grand children and I.

Attachments

• 20220819_091725.jpg
    20220819_091725.jpg
    980.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_091616.jpg
    20220819_091616.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_091606.jpg
    20220819_091606.jpg
  • 20220819_091655.jpg
    20220819_091655.jpg
  • 20220819_091407.jpg
    20220819_091407.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_091647.jpg
    20220819_091647.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_091327.jpg
    20220819_091327.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_091338.jpg
    20220819_091338.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_091358.jpg
    20220819_091358.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the photos and more details. That provides a better feel for their situation. No worries about the postings. It can take some time to get used to how a forum works. No "dues" are necessary. Members may upgrade their membership if they desire by paying a monthly, annual or lifetime fee. But that isn't necessary in order to be on the forum.

Now to answer your questions, generally rabbits are not vocal at all. Some, however, tend to be somewhat vocal -- especially when excited or happy (or angry). Lion being quiet is not unusual. Rabbits tend to do most of their "communicating" through body language. Their body position, the direction they turn their ears, etc, all can communicate. You can find out more about that by clicking here. But there's nothing out of the ordinary for Lion to not be vocal. It's your gal that is more the exception in being vocal. :)

I'd be remiss if I did not point out that the cage the rabbits are in is terribly small for even one rabbit. I realize this is what pet stores sell for rabbits but rabbits need space to run and stretch every day. I would not recommend that size cage for the two rabbits if they were only confined there for the nighttime.

It's good you have the play yard. That really should be setup for full-time access. Minimally, a rabbit should have around 30 square feet of space. That may sound like a lot but it is only 5' x 6'. They also need overhead space so they can adequately stretch up on their hind legs. They can't do that in their current cage.

For a better visual of this, please take a look at the following page (on my website). It explains about housing in more detail. But most relevant on that page is the section near the bottom of that website page that shows a cage very much like yours and then explains how to make it more usable. Just click the green window below to be taken to that site:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/housing-options.html
The following video is also informative regarding space that rabbits should have. (The opening has good info on a typical outdoor hutch, but the section discussing an indoor cage (like yours) begins at the 11 minute mark.)

Last edited:
Hi. I am back. Do you have any real good videos that have the sounds of rabbits? I have listened to a few that were okay. The sounds sound so similar. I want to make sure we understand (Ur) Highness and that her sounds are not mucous rattling around inside her nose, head etc.

Latest posts

Back