Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed the video of the birds, they really looked like they were enjoying it.

Silly buns! It seems it would be so much easier if their body language was a little more clear.

I don't know if this is even a possibility for you to try, but I have rabbits that don't get along inside on neutral territory, but are fine and happy with each other when I let them outside to play. I don't know if its that there are more distractions and room to run around. If you know of an enclosed yard you can take your rabbits to, or use leashes or an xpen, it might be worth a try if nothing else is working.

Oh the bird video. I can't handle that much cute at this hour. That makes me want to go spray the parrot....I know he likes water but I wonder if he'd be anywhere near that cute. He takes baths in his water bowl, but it's nowhere near as hilarious as that!

Date LV

I took them on a car right to my mothers. The date went very well, both we're just exploring and did briefly meet but shooed each other away. Xena did rear up and box, her usual move, but it didn't go past that and they broke off. Now for the very bad news. My initial check last night didn't register that Conan got a scratch on his eyebrow. That area is a little swollen, and there was some crust. My wife (a nurse) cleaned it up and put some bacitracin on, but not on the eye because that's bad, and we'll be monitoring it all day. If things don't get better we'll take him to the vet tomorrow. He doesn't look perturbed by it at all, he was patient while we cleaned it and was friendly with my mom and everyone all day so I'm hoping it was just a scratch to the eyebrow and not the eye itself.

Such a shame, because they were loafing around in the new grounds and my mom simply loved having the company. They looked so good, relaxing and just classically being themselves in a new territory and leaving each other alone. If it was a first date I would have said they make a good match. At 55 dates, it's not progress but it's not anger or even hate. Then again I realize now that they haven't really gone nose to nose anymore, they either break off when making contact with each other or fight of late. In my heart and by logical deduction I think this bond will work and isn't a dead end but I definitely need to give it time and reassess. Maybe call for some help from a more experienced party.

Now for responses;

Hahaha a stud huh? Hmmm okay, we will take your word for it. :biggrin2: You had me convinced until the milk at the bar thing......lol.........

Heh, a real man is stud enough to be childish, not care what others think, and maintain manliness...Err, I believe :)

Things were going good! It's hard to know when to end dates though. Especially if things were going so peaceful. Did something specific happen OR start happening at the 45 minute mark that changed the mood?

Really I'm not sure. Conan was laying around relaxing, she came to him, he instantly got up to meet her head on and then she started boxing. That's the thing with them, there is very little transition in them from relaxing to fighting and their body language is curious and relaxed until it isn't anymore. Granted my study of bunny body language come's from research and video study, but still I don't think I'm that far off. Like I said I think I either need to be more patient or ask for outside advice.

I don't know if this is even a possibility for you to try, but I have rabbits that don't get along inside on neutral territory, but are fine and happy with each other when I let them outside to play. I don't know if its that there are more distractions and room to run around. If you know of an enclosed yard you can take your rabbits to, or use leashes or an xpen, it might be worth a try if nothing else is working.

My brother has a yard, but not quite enclosed. We're starting to plan to move to a house and on our list is a good yard, so maybe then. I'll have to consider my options cause I'm not so sure on the kitchen anymore but then I'm reassessing everything right now. Worst situation we end up with two separate bunnies, a thing that's not ideal but not one we can't handle.

Oh the bird video. I can't handle that much cute at this hour. That makes me want to go spray the parrot....I know he likes water but I wonder if he'd be anywhere near that cute. He takes baths in his water bowl, but it's nowhere near as hilarious as that!

Never hurts to try. You saw my clowns, they love it, especially Titania. Then again my birds are more winged puppies then birds. Or rather We've never had birds that behave like them.

Last edited:
Well I made an appointment for the Vet on Wednesday. Conan's eyebrow definitely has a cut where its split and I hope his eye didn't get hurt. The wife has been putting bacitracin every 12 hours on it and while it looks better we don't want to take any chances. Poor little guy.

I had to reschedule the Vet appointment because work stuck me for a double, so after my 16 hour shift I had the pleasure of hitting rush hour traffic making my usual hour commute time into two. Got home and felt so bad about the animals being caged up so long (my wife is on vacation) I let the birds out and went to sleep. Apparently its hard to juggle out time with sleep because the birdies promptly woke me up 3 hours later because they missed me...Sigh. The buns also got their out time and then I went off to work to do it all again. Get back and today is cage cleaning day, so I do a quick job, get 4 hours sleep so I can make my Vet appointment. I come home, give the buns and the birds their out time (actually the birds were out since morning). Time to put the birds back in for the night and they actually rebel against me and it takes forever. I'm getting hissed at the whole time. Oh well, I must love these critters or something. After its said and done I have to dispute some bills, talk to family on the phone and then it's back to work. Thank goodness Im off tomorrow.

Ok, enough whining about my days it's time I get back to writing about my poor little bun Conan. Turns out Xena must have bit off a tiny piece of his eye brow/inner eye lid. Ouch. The Vet said it looks good and is healing fine (thank goodness my wife is a nurse so we were on it from the get go taking care of it). I got to give him 3 eye drops a day and syringe feed him 6cc of antibacterial medicine (no easy feat with this little picky eater) and hopefully he should be all right. It's healing on his own so the Vet didn't want to stitch it but she wants to take precautions so no abcess forms (not likely but still a chance). In 10 days I got to go back for another check up.

Last edited:
Try putting the meds on a slice of banana if he likes banana. Syringe feeding Q-tip post spay was the worst thing ever. She HATED it and didn't like the taste of the meds, so we started just putting it on a banana. She was so excited to be getting banana slices that she ate them up, medicine and all.
I've also heard of people using applesauce, if you have applesauce addicted buns.

What a shame that Conan came off this the worse but nothing serious thankfully. It is difficult sometimes to see when they will lunge and they are so fast. Mine have had their fair share of scuffles and when they go at it, they go at it. The two little ones used to sink their teeth into each other´s rump and they would be rolling on the floor so your two are quite tame.

There are good signs with them, it´s just gonna be a very long engagement :dunno

I've been gone for a time but I can now come in and officially say Conan's eyebrow/lid is healed. It was tough getting medicine in him alone, and so glad wifey came back from vacation to make it easier, but the little guy did well and is all right. Well, except for a barely noticable scar. Now soon I'll start the bunny dates again but I want to gain my confidence back up before I embark on it.

Meanwhile we've been house hunting, and while Im a little nervous about the prospect of buying a home for the first time, I look forward to a new space for my pets and even a backyard they can roam.

Just had a thought, I'm leaving on vacation in 2 weeks, so wondering if its a good idea to start bunny bonding again to only have a 2 week layoff and then continue when I come back. Any thoughts?

It turns out my birds and rabbits are in collusion. Apparently the birds knock the treat bags off the shelves to the floor so Xena can eat them all (luckily only 4 were left) and in return she lets them eat out of her hay trough. Evil I tell you.

Haha, I wonder if birds and rabbits secretly can communicate :) At least all your animals are happy!

Well, with bonding, if you stopped dates til you're back from vacation, that would be about a month wouldn't it? That's pretty long. It would almost be like you were starting over. But who knows, maybe that's what they need. A little break too.

Well considering they've been on break for 2 weeks, it will be a total of 6 weeks before I start. I mean I'm okay with starting it now, but I'm not sure my wife can continue while I'm away. I did get in touch with my local Rabbit society and am waiting on input from them as well.

Date 1

I guess its time to start all over. Today I did a short date, 15min. All was quiet, Conan looked really relaxed and presented a few times, which seems like a good sign since he was the one who got injured. Xena seems a bit skittish, grumpy, but kept coming to stay near Conan. She did thump once at him, and I think he nipped some fur though she didnt since she's molting. All was well and ended peacefully.

Unrelated to bonding, I'm hanging out in the let room relaxing when I hear this low rattling. I turn to look, Conan is on the 2nd level of his condo with his nose pressed against the cage twitching it which is making the rattling. He's so cute wedged in there between his stuffy so I took a pic.

image.jpg

I´ve missed these two and he is such a softie.

How I laughed at the collusion between the birds and the bunnies. They are all too smart, you´ll have to watch out.

Doesn´t sound bad for a first date again, hope things only improve.

Date II

Not too bad, some mild aggression with Xena boxing and Conan seeming to be protecting a certain zone in the neutral area. Yesterday seemed more relaxed, today there was a tension of a sort but nothing too extreme. I realize I miss bonding them, because its the only real time we spend together otherwise I have to force my presence on them. Well, in reality I am forcing myself on them but for a reason. I just love watching them interact, just as much as I like watching them being solo around the house up to their shenanigans.

The other pets, Oberon (cockatiel) began laying eggs again poor thing. She's too young and she did it a few months back, and now doing it again. Takes a lot out of her and we don't know why she's doing it. Poor Titania the trouble maker is having a difficult time sharing the cage. She's usually the dominant one but Oberon is in protection mode so she's constantly chasing her off which makes for a tumultuous time in their relationship.

Happy Birthday Conan, hope you got lots of treats and that Xena kissed you through the bars lol.

:big kiss::toast::balloons::birthday:party:

Latest posts

Back