Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Date XL

Tonight's date was rather uneventful other then I let it ride for an hour. There was a moment where Xena reared up to box Conan, and a different one where Conan nipped her, but a spray of water separated them and set things back to standard. I wonder, I read so much about bonding but never saw anything about a neutral ground getting 'old'. It seems like Conan and Xena have set up sections for themselves and rarely cross the imaginary line. Hell, Conan won't really go to where the vegetables are anymore.

To test this theory I'm going to try the bedroom in the morning, but at the same time isn't it the point that they get along in a space for as long as possible? Today nothing happened until about 40 minutes in, so that's a success even if they still haven't settled how their relationship is supposed to go. I think. Sigh...I hate all the guess work.

Last edited:
Date XLI

Today's date didn't go well. There was a lot of fur pulling and some boxing (from Xena). Conan was really wet from the spray battle. I let it ride a little bit, but at a point Xena was down on her side spinning and Conan over her. I pulled him off before he could do anything so I don't know what he would have done. The slippery floor of course makes it hard for them to go at it thank goodness. I pulled them off each other, my wife petted Xena while I petted Conan to calm them down. They looked like they wanted to go back to each other so I let them but I forced them to accept nose rubs right next to each other, gave them a treat, and put them in their carriers. So not well, but I get the sense they don't dislike each other they just got a few things to iron out. We'll see at the next date.

Date XLII

Tonight's date weeny back much like standard. They loafed around but a few times Conan got aggressive and tried a few nips. Xena was being the submissive bun this time around and would just hop away. So no progress, no set back. Left it 30min this time.

Date XLIII

The morning date went much like the evening date, so nothing special to report on that end. Last night however for the first time I personally witnessed a phenomenon that my wife has mentioned, them boxing between cages. At first I thought it was because Xena was in Conan's cage but my wife said that its happened regardless which cage she's in. It looked aggressive but they really couldn't do anything to each other so I just observed for a time then put Conan away (it was his out time) in Xena's cage. They do have some level of aggression towards each other, that's been evident even in their dates, but they also display levels of comfort. At the end of this week, or rather when Friday arrives it will have been a full month since I started bonding. I definitely think a shake up is in order so I'm going to take them elsewhere for a date and not not change my mind just because they were so good the date before. Also I think I'm going to get in touch with the local House Rabbit Society to see if they can offer any advice or help.

XLIV

Nothing special today, more of the same. I'm really thinking they divided the kitchen in seperate territories, Xena got north and Conan got south, because at times when one goes over the 'boundary' it sets the other to be aggressive. If I do do an evening bonding session I'm planning to do it in the tub or bedroom since they have no experience in the former and little in the latter. Probably the tub, though small its slippery and I think the more comfortable a surface the more they can dig in and fight if that's what they want to do. Either way on Friday I'm driving to my moms and shaking things really up.

Yeah Lisa, they sure are stubborn, but then so am I. If I truly believed it wouldn't work then I'd love them as two separate rabbits but I just don't see that. As for Roman numeral, it and Latin are an informal education of mine. I love Ancient history and its up my alley as a hobby. Plus I watch Superbowls and its convenient to know.

Last edited:
Date XLV

So for tonight's date I put them in the bathtub. It's hilarious seeing two Flemish in a small tub. They both obviously did not like it, and they huddled together which is what I wanted. Problem is Conan kept sticking his head under her, nipped her a few times and and at one point pulled fur. So, I'm sure they were scared, a bit stressed, but I have no idea what total affect it had on them. They did look cute though huddled together at certain points, both staying perfectly still so they won't slip. I kept them together for about 15 minutes (pretty sure it was less then that). We'll see how it works out tomorrow during the normal morning date.

Date XLVI

The morning date was in the bedroom, only the third time they've dated here. Xena was agitated the whole time, thumping a few times, which she never did before. Conan was in exploration mode and seemed more outgoing. All was well though Xena didn't seem that into the greens (another unusual though she did nibble). Just as I was going to end on a good note a scuffle breaks out. Fur pulling, boxing and jumping over. I stopped it, not so fast cause I guess I was hoping it would settle but after about ten seconds enough was enough. Fine back in the carrier and to the cages, though I let out Xena for some run time and this is what they do right after. She runs to lay down next to him and he's just chill...:tantrum:

Photo Apr 23, 10 38 40 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 23, 10 38 55 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Well since I double posted anyways, I might as well use this space to mention while we weren't looking Xena jumped up on the couch where there was a pizza crust left over on a dish. She started nibbling it of course. Luckily my wife saw it and stopped her from consuiming too much but she ceratinly is adventerous in her eating habits unlike are other ultra-finicky rabbit.

Last edited:
Date XLVII

Bathtub date tonight. They looked freaked out but behaved decently. Conan was nippy but Xena was too worried to react. I kept it at ten minutes then let them out. First thing Xena did was lay next to Conan's cage. Silly rabbits...

image.jpg

Date XLVIII

Morning date, back in the kitchen. It went well enough, a few nose to nose that didn't go anywhere but both rabbits were moody. I had to end it a little early because. Xena jumped on a carrier and when she went to hop off got her toe or nail stuck on an opening. I was always worried that it might happen but thought I was just being paranoid. I looked her foot over and while she's not limping, and nothing looks broken or bleeding, she's against that particular foot being checked so there might be a little pain. I'll monitor it.

Date XLIX

Not too bad tonight. They had a brief confrontation where they both reared up but then broke it off themselves with no 'persuasion' from me. Xena played a bit with the red ball, Conan loafed and all went well. It lasted 20min and They went nose to nose at the end but I had to break it off before it settled positively or negatively since I needed to get ready for work.

A question to other bonders out there, when your rabbits begin to scuffle seriously, do you deter a distinct rabbit funk in the air? Kind of like the same smell you get when you clean their scent glands. It's definitely coming off of Conan, and I only smell it when they get into a serious fight, well almost serious because it gets stopped.

Yes, it´s like they´re throwing their scent out there. Houdini does it when he scuffles with Snowy and it´s kind of skunky.....I honestly think they can throw their scent like skunks and it does stink so know exactly what you mean. Even if I clean his scent glands, he still does it.

Date L

Only one date today, done in the afternoon. I figured let me give the 'date them when their not at their most active' a try. All was well, they behaved even when they they vied for dominance. I screwed up though, tried to do another trick I read about where you force them next each other and pet them. That did not work out well, ended in a scuffle where fur pulling and knock downs occurred. No distinct smell from Conan however and they seperate and took pets easy enough. Trial and error I guess, and I won't be trying that again.

This weekend will be fun for me. Tomorrow I go talk to a broker to see what kind of loan we can pull for a first time house. Saturday me and the wife take a drive to the big Eastern Flemish show just to see the pretty rabbits and spend the night somewhere scenic. Sunday I take my wife to see Cirque De Soleil and dinner to kick off her vacation that culminates in her and her moher going to Puerto Rico for the first time on Wednesday. So who says all us men are no good :). Then I have time to really get into the rabbit bonding. I wonder what new thing I can try with them.

Oh and I forgot to mention, that was Date 50! Not sure that's a good thing but its a thing! Here hoping to not having another 50!

Sigh...Cross that rabbit show. Originally Cirque was scheduled for Friday situation we can go to the rabbit show Saturday, get a hotel room there and visit a national park, and come back Sunday. But Cirque decided to cancel my already paid for show a week before hand so I had to settle for Sunday. That screws up going to the rabbit show because its a 4 hour drive to that, staying overnight isn't worthwhile since we won't have the time to enjoy it since we have to leave the next day very early to make it back in time for Cirque which screws up our visit to a park. I just feel bad for the wife because she hates rushing for things, and hates it even more when something requires planning to the point it becomes a chore. Oh well, the revised plan now is Saturday national park visit, then Sunday Cirque...I'll make out own rabbits Conan and Xena show for us at home. Now it only the little stinkers will comply. :)

Date LI

Decided to do a bath tub date for no particular reason. Both bunnies behaved very well which is a sure sign they both hated the experience! My wife at one point decided to join them in the bath tub which kind of defeats the purpose of stressing them but it was all so very cute so who could resist. Ended it ten minuted with nary an issue except for little wet bunny bottoms (didn't realize there was still a little water left but no harm was done, just more annoyance which kind of worked with the game plan because those big bunnies had no other choice then to be right next to each other and hold perfectly still.

Oh, and heres a pic of a pro-bunny flopper. Again, for no reason...

Photo Apr 26, 6 42 23 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Date LII

The In-Laws were here for dinner and the father loves pets, and the mother while makes a stink about pets she likes them too, so they asked to see a bunny bond date. So Conan & Xena gave a show of being well behaved and we're extremely cute. No moment of bonding, but no fighting or confrontations either so all was well. Yeah 51 dates...I wonder when people start opening up the territories to these guys. Is it when there is absolutely no fighting and some contact or is it when they look calm enough they try it?

Thanks Lisa for the kind thoughts. We're looking for Long Island, which is right outside NYC (but not by much). Your right, the value of houses in the city proper are just ridiculous and you get so little out of it it just makes no sense to be a moderate means family and do it. I saw Mystere in Vegas, great show, and now I'm going to see Totem. It's all fun but again I wish I could have given her the weekend she wanted, but it will still be a great weekend going to the botanical garden and seeing the Cherry Blossom show tomorrow.
As for the gender jokes, yeah I'm just playing along since so many blog writers here are ladies, and I'm reading either recipes, Downtown Abbey, or laments about the inadequacies of the males, and I'm just not sure I should respond just for responding sake. People compliment me on my cooking, but I can't say I have any official recipes nor know exactly how to convey a lesson. I'm sure I'll be watching D-Abbey at some point and maybe not dreading it (I hope) and as a male I've got plenty of inadequacies but I'm such a stud that women overlook them :muscleman: But by your standards I guess I'm not much of a guy cause when i belly up to the bar I often ask for a glass of milk (The other bouncers used to laugh at me but what can I say, my cookies needed milk...:)

Date LIII

All's well on the morning date. They did lunge and make contact with each other but they broke it off themselves without intervention from me being necessary. So another relaxing date but no end to the stalemate on who's boss. Maybe there will never be.

Lately on the morning dates we've been letting the cockatiels join in to hang out, so it's kind of like a family bonding time (maybe the bunnies will catch the hint). Anyway for no reason I decide to spray Oberon (She's the almost all yellow one) with the mist and she likes it! My wife has been trying to give Oberon a bath for the longest but today out of nowhere Oberon accepted it. Of course Titania had to get involved in the act (We actually have to keep her from showering with my wife, she can't get enough), my wife loved every moment and I got a very very wet leg :). You can see Conan in the background wondering what the hell is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EX4F7FLA8&feature=youtu.be
watch

Last edited:
Date LIV

Ooh boy that was a humdinger...I shouldn't have pushed it I guess, the date was going 45 minutes and I was going to let it continue until the one hour mark, but then they fought. And fought bad...Guess I should be grateful that neither got hurt, just a lot of fur pulling and stink is all. Tomorrow I'm taking them for a car ride to a completely neutral area and see what happens. If it's ugly then I may give it a weeks rest. Shame, because it was all going so smoothly, and I mean I do have to increase the time incrementally at some point. We were having such a relaxing time up until the end.

And of course I should go check on them to see if they're all right and discover them lambchopping against their cages right next to each other all relaxed! :craziness :banghead

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back