Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Date XI

Today went well, there was a scuffle in the middle of it that looked bad. Not asserting dominance just an almost fight but it got broken up. Then they went about doing the nose to nose thing for near 5 minutes and I decided to end the stalemate and call it a day. I really do think for them food is a positive thing, they don't fight over it and believe me at one point they had a leaf between them and Conan let go. The other positive thing (I think) was Xena resting her head on top of Conan's. Now I know he was looking for grooming and she was probably dominating but they stayed like that for about 2 minutes. The negative was Conan kept trying to get to Xena's belly for a nip (or worse I suspect) and Xena gave him a good old double stomping on the noggin. It did seem pretty tense, the wife was worried it was serious, but then they went back to standard, explored the kitchen and went into the nose and head rest thing I mentioned earlier.

So, not so good, not so bad. I'm thinking Friday since I'll be busy that I'll give them a date rest. Maybe. Maybe I need the rest :). Let me not make that sound so bad, I'm not stressed, I'm actually enjoying the process I just wish I had more experience on the whole thing.

Wait til it's all over and then you'll feel like a pro. I constantly second guessed myself through bonding and felt like I was always doing something wrong but then when they were bonded I was like.....okay! I did it! I guess I do know what I'm doing! Hahahah

Date XII

Another good date. There was a brief scuffle, one I believe for the first time Xena instigated. He was laying down all relaxed and she came up on him again, turned around and thumped near his face twice. He eventually reacted by trying to nip. They disengaged so all went well. Now the good news, they both ate together and eventually Conan even lambchopped. He looked really relaxed. Xena laid down as well after awhile. The mood was chill and they looked very cute together. Best news, I got some pics out of it this time.

Photo Apr 03, 9 39 44 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 03, 9 39 49 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 03, 9 39 56 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 03, 9 40 12 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 03, 9 40 26 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 03, 9 40 50 PM.jpg

Aww look at them eating together! They really do make such an attractive pair.

Kinda funny that she came up and thumped in his face.....hehe...though not funny for you watching it I'm sure. But it sounds as though they are simply feeling each other out and that it is their specific way of working through things.

I can't wait til they are bonded for you!

Date XIII

Bunny Bonding The 13th...dum dum dum. Yeah, it didn't go so good. My wife believes its mornings that they don't agree with. Anyways it was going well and the wham, the nipping from Conan and the attempted head stomping from Xena. It passed, they wandered and ate a bit, then it was back to nose to nose ataredown. Though once, only for the briefest moment, I could swear each of them nuzzled the other is a friendly manner. Maybe I'm seeing things from watching intently in too many attempts.

My wife leaves for vacation May 1st. It's a while away but I was thinking if things stay stale until then that on my weekend I would make a two day effort Euro bonding style, or the fast method and see what happens. It's not me being desperate, I'm prepared for this to last months, hopefully a few short years and even prepared if it need happens, just thought if it was still status quo it would be something to try. Anyways Im off to sleep.

You´re having good and bad days but there´s still no fighting so that is a good sign. They still seem to be sussing each other out so maybe will take a Little longer but if you have patience, I think they´ll get there in the end. I loved the photos of them munching their greens together, they are such a lovely couple.

Date XIV

Well that went almost well. I mean there were some really positive moments of the eating together, Xena over Conan's head eating while he's sprawled out. And then after all these wonderful moments that decided to scuffle. I think I might have let the tiff run a little long, but I was hoping they'd eat it out of their system and break off. No such luck. So I had to press them down side by side, feed them a great and pet them for a short bit to at least try to end it on a peaceful note. If anything maybe they're more upset at me at the end then each other.

So not sure whether to call this a stalemate because of all the positives that did happen, or just short of bad. I took a video while things were really good so you can see why I got hopeful. Anyway just another day at bunny bonding camp. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=eRa6W9aoNnQ

Here's also a sweet pic I think.

image.jpg

Awh it's okay it was just another day youre right, and honestly you can date them every single day and they could be the same for a month or longer and then one day they will just move forward you won't even know when and it's probably when you least expect it, I didn't get a chance to watch thevid but will in the morning. They look sdorable together!!!

It's surprising to see such cute pics of them together and imagine them having a scuffle. They look like soul mates already!
I still think they are doing very normal things and just working through things. Overall it all sounds positive!

Date XV

I think this was the worst date yet. Both we're fine huddling around the food, ate well. Then of course the domination plays began. It surprised me that Xena just went over and stomped on Conan's head out of nowhere, no sign to indicate that was coming. Conan of course not to be outdone pulled some hair, a good chunk off of her. Neither rabbit was harmed but both we're aggressive. We broke them up three times and by the last one they seemed a bit more calmer and went their separate ways. Figured it was going to be as positive an ending as I was going to get so I put them away and gave them the feel good treat. Now that's two not so good dates. I'm going to try again tonight and if it goes the same I'm either going to take them out for a drive and a new place for bonding, or just give the whole thing a few days rest and reset.I'm not disuaded,I still see some very positive things so I know it will eventually work, but no current progress is being made.

Yeah Lisa, believe it they scuffle. But for their size and for the destructive power I know they possess (all the chewed out boxes, broken books, and knocked over gates and statues will attest to that) I don't believe they're going at each other to do lasting harm. Conan just wants to establish dominance while Xena lets him know she's too independent for those kinds of shenanigans. Before I started this I would have sworn as the laid back kind of bun that Conan would have been submissive, but oh no he's living up this name. Xena is also living up to her namesake. Makes me almost reconsider naming them after these powerful fictional warriors. :)

Date XVI

Ahh, this date went very well. They ate their greens, took turns lamb-chopping and at one point lamb-chopped together. They had a few brief moments where things looked like they might get tense but I soothed it with my voice and decided to end the date there. So in a sense this was the best date yet after following the worst one. Might have something to do with me putting them in each others cages. I've made this observation that the course of the dates are determined by Conan. If Conan is relaxed, then things generally remain so. If Conan is agitated and trying to establish his dominance too aggressively then things go bad. Xena never appears too comfortable, not like him, and generally reacts to Conan. I wish I could do something with this info, I guess I could try to relax him as much as possible so things go well. Since there wasn't three consecutive bad dates, I guess I won't take a break from bunny bonding or do change up anything too much. Oh, I forgot to mention now greens are always standard on these dates now cause it does have a calming affect on them. I'm still leery of putting a litterbox in since the first time I did it it did not go well.

I agree it does not sound like these two hate each other by any sort of the imagination. If you can soothe a scuffle with your voice then they aren't even reaching a bad level at all!

After reading so many other bonding experiences on here it is clear that half the time working out who is top bun is literally one of the most common struggles. And that's obviously what your two are doing. I also think that's why my two bonded so easily because Aggie never even one time tried to challenge Archie in the least bit! She's so chill thank goodness.

I say stay the course and you will get there soon :) As far as litterbox are the dates long enough to where you'd need one? If not don't try it yet. I would wait til you move to non neutral territory. Also to help with that are you switching litterboxes regularly? I was switching mine everyday at this point.....sometimes not even cleaning them that well so they were sure to smell each other a lot.

Date XVII

Took them to a different neutral territory in the apartment, the bedroom. It went well throughout except the end where again they scuffled. No calming voice worked this time. I broke them apart and eventually settled them down to put them away. Shame, it looked so promising again with them eating and relaxing. It always comes a time when one of them demands grooming, usually Conan, and then things take the bad turn. What I find interesting is Conan is the one pushing it, nipping when it doesn't happen, but Xena really goes to throwdown by boxing or begining the jumping over and such. I would worry overall except as usual they calm down and are able to be around each other easy enough right after or at the next date. Oh well, another day at the office.

Your right Lisa, no point for the litterbox yet. Dates are not long enough to warrant that. As for switching, I've been switching them in each others cages every day. Especially right before I clean it so they can get each others full stink. On days they come from each others cages they seem more calm. I would switch smaller items but I think the wholesale switch works better, maybe not for them the jury still out, but for me for sure.

Michael have you tried applesauce on the foreheads yet? That may help with starting grooming......

I was thinking to do the applesauce, and really wanted to do it but I read somewhere that unless you know who the dominant one is you risk confusing them and risking worse behavior later. If this kind of thing continues though I don't see why not take the chance, plus I have strong suspicions that Xena will like the applesauce and Conan wont.

Date XVIII

This date went pretty smooth. Xena was a bit agitated and let Conan know it by grunting and thumping. Conan took it all pretty easy. They both ate up all the greens, relaxed for swaths of time and then things got a bit tense when nose to nose stare down happened but Xena broke it off. Looked like Conan was going to chase to continue what I felt was going to be a spat so I petted each one, put them in their carriers and gave them a treat. Now I probably shouldn't have, but the date went on to about 30 minutes plus without a real incident. I think it was progress of a sort, I can't say they've settled down but at least they can tolerate each other for longer periods. Of course I could be mistaken and the food is playing a part in the slow downs of scuffling. Of course the issue is when they begin the date with these confrontations.

Date XIX

That was a disaster. I don't know what happened, but from the get go Xena seemed out of sorts. Shortly into it she for no reason ran to Conan to nip his but, and things went downhill from there. It really did seem like Xena was the aggressor on this date while Conan was being sheepish, a very strange turn. This date spiraled out five minutes into it and certainly looked like if I delayed putting them away a full blown fight would have occurred. So I put them away and got bit for it. I wouldn't say it was a full blow bite but it definitely broke skin and drew blood. I think I might take a break the rest of the day and just try again tomorrow since I'm going to be busy tonight. Then again I'm a stubborn and and relentless sort. I'll have to figure out what's best for them. It's just strange how it can go so well one day, so bad the next.

Well bleh. That's a bummer :( BUT......they say that bonding is a series of ups and downs so, although it's easier said than done, it's not a reason to be discouraged. Im sure they have off days like we do. I think you did the right thing ending the date. It's great you picked up on their queues that things were off so the fact that you prevented a full blown fight is a very good thing.

Date XX

Today was a strange one. Unbeknownst to me, Conan and Xena had some kind of altercation between cages. I was at work and my wife was off and she told me Xena was trying to box Conan between the bars and Conan was trying to get a nip/bite. Nothing happened because they had the cage between them but when I came in this morning I didn't know anything had occurred so I went to have a bunny date. The date went very well, Xena was agitated at first and wanted reassurance so I pet her a lot while Conan was moseying around. They went nose to nose again but this time I didn't want to let that ride so I pet the both of them, mixing their scents and mine. Finally at one point Xena went to wander while Conan was lying down so I went to give him some exclusive petting time. Xena eventually noticed and came along, not sure if it was jealousy or curiosity but I didn't want anything to happen so I again petted them both. The whole thing was so relaxing and peaceful I lost track of time and realized the date had gone 25min, 10 more then I usually give.

So I'm not sure what to make of it. Fight between bars last night, rather peaceful this morning. Either way I'm thankful this one went so smoothly and I hope the next one works out just as fine.

Date XXI

The date went typical. Everything was good and calm while distractions were around (food) but when it came time for them to be close once again there was a dispute where Xena boxed and Conan nipped. I can't tell who instigated first and at this point it doesn't matter. Obviously both want to be dominant and neither one wants to bend. Yet...I will persevere because it really seems they get along until who's top bunny comes into question. I mean Xena lamb-chopped out while Conan was munching, and vice versa.

Latest posts

Back