Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, Xena spent a lot more time in her cage then usual today. I hadn't given her last dose of metacam yet so it might have been that but I'm a paranoid sort and wonder if she was cage guarding.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that yet. It's more than likely her spay. And even IF she was getting protective of her cage...that's okay. It doesn't mean they will fight. My two never even got in one spat but there were times that they staked claim over certain things. Archie claimed Agnes's spot (he's alpha) which I thought would cause a fight but it didn't at all. So my point, they may go through times where thry are guarding or protecting something but that doesn't mean it will cause issues.

So I'm a roleplayer, playing tabletop games since I was a kid and well until adulthood. I don't have an extensive collection of books, but I do have enough to fill a very large bookshelf. Well my wife doesn't think to highly of the hobby, actually that's not fair, she's just not into it so my books are in another room while we have a lot of regular books between us, her more then me, and all those books are in the living room. Well my mistake was to put all my books in the pet room. Heh, you can see where I'm going with this. The roleplaying books I truly treasure are on the top shelves, while the ones that I care less for are on the bottom. Now I knew the rabbits would get to the bottom, what I didn't expect was the birds would bite at the ones I cherish. Sigh...anyway I don't bring this subject up to lament my damaged books since I did suspect it could happen, I bring this up because when I got in somehow Conan managed to pull a cardboard box set out from the shelf, and only the box set, and tore up the front. No biggie, I put it away. Later I let Xena out and she not only pulled out the very same box, but she opened it up, took out the cloth map, and preceded to go back to the cover box and scratch it up as well. I just find it curious that they chose the same box that was tightly placed in the shelf while other things were easier to get at. Plus, the fact that Xena managed to open it I find entertaining.

And speaking of entertaining, I came in this morning to find Xena modeling her blanket. I mean i only wish I caught in time a pic of her wearing it like a hood, but with these pics you'll get the idea. Pardon the messy cage, its clean up day today.

Photo Mar 21, 10 43 22 AM.jpg

Photo Mar 21, 10 43 27 AM.jpg

Photo Mar 21, 10 43 31 AM.jpg

Photo Mar 21, 10 43 40 AM.jpg

Michael, you're a roleplayer? RL or Online, I wonder..

An that is a lovely blanket, Miss Xena!! Will you be modeling it again anytime soon?

RL. I've never really done that online, since I like the interaction aspect and video conferencing frustrates me.

Ah, curious. I'm more of an online one, though through text. I'm a writer, though my blogging isn't the best :3

Hey, I'm a freelance writer by desire if not quite by occupation, and I've always had a negative view on blogging. Mostly because I feel large portion of them are ego driven drivel. What can I say however, the buns got me...

Xena, the runway model...I can´t believe she just sat there with the blanket over her, it does look really good and you´ve got a great picture there of that cute face and those awesome ears. She´s looking really well after her spay.

I think blogs are great when the people involved have a real interest in what they´re discussing and I think everyone on here will vouch for the fact that we´re all bunny obsessed so we always have loads to discuss apart from other day to day subjects which may come up. I hate blogs which are a bit like some facebook and twitter pages...who the heck cares what you had for breakfast, where you are right this minute, etc. I can´t get excited about that.

The bunnies just wanted to share your hobby! I think it's great that you're raising geeky buns! Q-tip loves to "read" theory...her favorite is Marx...his books are just delicious. She's glad there are other geeky buns on the forum. I just had to explain to her that I don't have any roleplaying games, though. She wanted to try to nom on one.

I bet that book both had a certain smell that thry both noticed.....or thry both wanted to read that book! Haha. Love the blanket on Xena. She's quite the model :)

This weekend I began the preliminary bonding tricks, switched out pillows then stuffed toys and blanket. Xena reacted to the new pillow by digging and chewing nearly right away and then leaving it alone. I think this is a bit significant since she never reacted to her own pillow at first. Conan had no reaction to anything. Tomorrow I plan to switch slightly used litter boxes. Friday is their big intro.

So today I had the rabbits switch cages, and the fun ensued. Xena was loving Conan's (and her future) home. She explored, she trashed, she conquered. Meanwhile Conan only had his eyes on escape. Oh sure he would eat pellets from her food bowl, but he was bent on getting back to his cage. Things eventually died down and they relaxed, but you could tell Xena loved her circumstances while Conan only tolerated it. Both avoided the litterboxes, even though they were actually their own originals just in a different cage. Nonetheless I believe pooping did occur.

Later in the eve when I was giving them their seperate run times, Conan figured out how to slide the NIC gate and the waiting Xena slipped in. I heard it happening and was able to intervene but they still met. Now I can't judge based on a second but they were side by side and looked fine. Granted they were focused on just passing each other but at least not at fighting each other. We'll see this Friday at their actual first date.

I'm excited to hear about their first meeting! That doesn't sound any bad body language so they should be okay. Then again, the longer they are together, the more nippy they tend to get.

Well, it sounds positive that they briefly met and there was no fur flying. Love how Xena so enjoyed being in Conan´s place and him wanting to get back to his own pad...they are so funny.

Can´t wait for the start of their bunny dates....I´m already picturing them together :D

Today I restored the rabbits to their original cages. They again seemed a little shocked and took their time popping but otherwise all good. Funny though, after each ones play time they would run back to the wrong cage and realize 'oh wait, that's not my home'. So I guess they couldn't have been too traumatized by the experience.

Oh, and me and the wife did our first rabbit nail trimming. Went way better then I thought it would, Conan was a champ and Xena put up a bit of struggle but no one was harmed (except for me with a few new nip bruises) and Tethys came back to be petted like nothing bad happened.

Date I

Their first bunny date occurred, and it was a resounding ok...at least I think. Now several sites mentioned to run it anywhere between 2min-30min (HRN actually chimed in at 30 if all was going well) so all in all it was a 15min meeting. For the most part they explored the kitchen surrounding, Conan was scared to come out the carrier then scared to hop the kitchen floor meanwhile Xena was everywhere. I gave them little treats to keep things jovial and I have to say for the first 10min things we're just indifferent. They would pass each other on occasion, but pay each other little mind. I had put a neutral litter box with some hay in the area and both played king of the hill so I quickly realized it was agitating them which one was in it so I removed it. Then they each took turns bowing the head looking for some grooming. It looked like they we're getting annoyed at the other when neither would respond so I tried to chill the situation by petting their noses myself. It kind of worked, kept them calm but a few moments after I removed my hand they'd both try to get under the other one and get nipped if they wouldn't respond. I stopped the majority of the nipping by either pushing them off or spraying them with water. They separated one last time so i took my moment, gave them a treat and put them back in their carriers.

So, it wasn't true love but neither was it hate (I hope). What concerned me was their body language never seemed to indicate fight. Ears were always up in curiosity or awareness of some potential mishap. Tails never went up. A smidgen of circling and mostly just to get their heads under the others head. No humping whatsoever. Just nips, and many more attempted nips. In fact call me cautious, paranoid or whatever but the nips freaked me out the most because it would come lickity split with no absolute warning. I could handle humping way better and of course that didn't happen. No fur was pulled, I don't even think a nip connected too much but in like humping or something more overt I have no way to gauge how bad a nip can go or what it can turn into. I like to think I'm satisfied at how things went, especially since after I returned them I left Xena out of her cage (Conan was out all night in the pet room so its her turn) and she went right to the spot he was laying and laid down besides him on the outside and he continued to relax (I hope its not a game of I'm more relaxed then you which is of course bunny for I'm fighting you non physically). Again, this all could be good but I like to play it cautious and just say it didn't go bad. I'm going to try again tonight, and I'm debating whether i should take them on a car ride to my moms house and try there where it truly is neutral territory, though her kitchen is a little bit more cluttered and tricky to maintain control (a small table to hide under which will make me scramble). Either way, that was Date 1.

Last edited:
I would be a nervous wreck especially with the nipping. I can only imagine it could also be more difficult if a true fight broke out with 2 large buns. With the little ones you could use a hand for each to separate but certainly not with flemmies. Although at the same time there is more of them to grab a hold of if needed.

I don't know how you would tell the difference between relaxing or the I'm gonna show you I'm relaxed because you are nothing to me. Other than going by your gut and knowing your buns.

I would look at it as a positive, it definitely would not be a negative in my book.

Date II

I decided not todo the car ride yet, saving that for when it's really needed and holding up my mother's or friends place as truly neutral ground should I need it. So I started again in my kitchen. Well this time it went less well. Still plenty of exploring and easy times for the first 10 minutes as they ignore each other, then the rest of it was spent head to head in who will groom whom first. I did try to relax them again by petting them myself, but it only delayed the inevitable confrontation. It seems Conan is the more aggressive one, while Xena is the reactive one. She thumped a few times to warn him or me, and when he kept coming she started a bit of boxing. For his part he nipped and actually pulled fur this time. Treats were liberally given which I think prevented truly ill will but it definitely seemed it did not go so well this time around. Patience I guess, I don't think I can call it true fighting yet but I'm not so sure its that far off.

Body language is throwing me completely off however. Besides Xena's thumps and a few grunts, both rabbits appear calm and curious and not that wary of each other until the moment they start something, which I of course swiftly intervene. I sprayed a few times, which made each one take a turn at grooming themselves, in fact at one point they were grooming themselves at the same time a foot and half away from each other. Man I was so hoping for humping, again at least that's a clear sign. Some bonding articles suggest on your days off to do two sessions/dates, about 6-8 hours apart. Since I did one real early in the morning right before I went to sleep and I stay up real late I'm wondering if I should attempt a third one or just let them be for the night. Either way I guess patience is going to be needed. My biggest problem is figuring out when to let a little physicalness go and when to step in. I tell you all the articles and videos in the world help, but certainly don't give you clear cut answers like experience.

Latest posts

Back