Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been around much, family problems cropping up that keep me awfully busy, but whats worse keep me away from my little fuzzies...its a shame cause now my wife gets all the bunny time and they already liked her more then me. I'm still the mean one who kicks them out of their home to clean.

I was wondering how these two were, missed them. If it wasn´t for my Kindle Fire, I probably wouldn´t post as much as it makes things much easier.

I am sure they love you to bits, after all if you didn´t clean up after them, they wouldn´t be able to mess everything up again lol.

Hope to see some pics soon, they are such a handsome couple :thumbup

Been having this issue of late where the buns use the 2nd floor of their condo like a litter box. It could be because I didn't cut the coroplast flush so there's a bit of a gap between two pieces. Technically not an issue of safety because I got peg board and then NIC panel under that so the floor is secure, but the spot they pee in up there is directly over their litter box so I'm thinking the lazy rabbits just pee up there because they can smell the slight opening . I'd put a litter box up there but I feel as if there is enough weight already. I'm not worried about stability, just I already use enough litter boxes and one up there would be a tricky reach.

Anyway I decided to remove the ramps so as there is no 2nd floor access. I plan to fix up the upstairs eventually with a new sheet of coroplast so there will be no gap, plus I figure this will confine them a bit so they can go back to the litter box properly. I figured I have nothing to worry about, the opening to the 2nd floor is to high, narrow, and angled poorly for any buns to hop up there. Only I was wrong. Two hours into it and my wife texts me the pic of Conan, who she lovingly calls hoglet, up there pooping already...sigh. Its possible he used a nearby chair to get up there. Either way these clever little trouble makers always figure out a way to foil our plans.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395374544.043174.jpg

I did laugh reading this. We do our best to outsmart them but they always find a way. I sometimes find Houdini looking and studying and I know that there´s something going on in that head of his. I see you will have to go to Plan B lol. Great pic of Conan, bet he was really pleased with himself, their way of putting a finger up at us !!?? You hoomins think you are smarter than we are but we´ll show you :spintongue

Dang rabbits are so smart! I hope you can block the second floor off successfully so they can get their good litter habits back under control.

I had the same problem with mine but (I think it's Shirley) it's done in the corner so it gets outside the cage. I used a piece of coroplast over the opening to the second floor and secured it with zip ties. Shirley now gets up their by jumping from outside of the cage. Laverne can't as she has tried twice but slides back out. When they are determined they find a way! Guess I need to block off the doorway on the second floor.

It gets better. My wife reports that while she was sleeping she heard a commotion in the room. While investigating she saw they were both up there (no chair nearby so it seems they can just get up there) and Xena had peed up there. Well they saw the door room door open so they both bolted out the room and into the living room. My wife was too tired to chase them out so was going to let them be and sleep in the living room couch when to her surprise she fell a wet spot. Smelling it she knew it was pee, and since Xena was there just a moment ago well we knew exactly what happened. Me, I didn't even need to see her actually do it to know, Xena pees whenever she's upset at us for ruining something. She's a retaliatory pee-er that one.

Sigh...Just in case though we have their first yearly check up scheduled next week to make sure the peeing isn't health related. I doubt it, she always does it when I'm upsetting her routine but I got to make sure. At least Conan, all he does is poop. Sadly I had to reinstall the ramps back because they have no way to safely get down, well also no way to safely get up either so I reinstalled them and will have to wait for a free weekend to fix up the condo.

Even our best laid plans are not safe when it comes to bunnies, they're simply much more clever than we are it seems. It's lucky they're so cute :D

We decided to groom Conan today for his visit tomorrow to the Vet. You would swear we were torturing him the way he fought. Usually he's a grump about it but today he thrashed and anything in front of his mouth was a target for his aggression. If he clamped on to anything he shook it about violently. Drew blood on my wife when she have him a treat after (to be fair we know he aggressively takes treats right after an 'abuse' so she should have been a bit more careful). Xena handled it marginally better, but again its not like they haven't been groomed before its just this time he took it hard for some reason that I can't fathom.

Well tomorrow is finally Vet visit day for the first time they've been bonded. I'm a bit nervous so wish us luck, especially since I'm still on the fence about taking them in the same or separate carriers.

Good Luck! We have a guinea pig and we took him out the other day for a cuddle. Whenever we touched his back, he was shaking his head madly and biting clothes (which is unusual for guinea pigs), and we discovered he had a sore bit on his back. That could be why your rabbit was being aggressive. Are the prongs on the brush that u used sharp?

We were were using a soft brush, so no prongs, he just hates being held. I probably should hold him more often to get used to it better, its just I dont think he'll ever get used to it .

Vet went smoothly, though it surprised me that Conan generally handled it well but Xena was really scared. Conan still has the two calluses on his paws that need caring for and at 15lb 12oz he's on the cusp of being to chubby but still healthy and well the Vet says. Xena is completely clear in health, weighing 17lb 8oz and perfect weight for her size. Their weights surprised me because by my home scale they were both about 2lb lighter but hey, they're big bunnies so its all good.

Bandy´s not keen on being groomed but I just find you have to be firm and not give up until you´re ready.

Good that the vet´s visit went well. Wow, those are big bunnies, the largest of mine weighs 1.880 kg at the moment.

After all the vet´s visits and treatments with Bandy right now, he is becoming a bunny who is OK with being handled when he was the one who struggled the most before so I suppose something good has come out of all that´s he´s going through. Not wishing any illness on anyone but handling frequently definitely gets them used to it.

Well I've been busy of late, which is a shame because it keeps me from my lil buns. I take care of my mom now practically full time, in the middle of buying a house, and generally working so its made me a stranger. The only time I feel my rabbits get time with me is when Im cleaning, grooming or feeding them. They never really liked me so now I guess they run from me more then ever. Oh well.

I went on vacation two weeks ago and left my In-laws to take care of the destructive duo. Poor In-laws, they did a great job but they weren't used to the process so they had a difficult time. Funny enough even with these great little pains they enjoyed the rabbits and called them cute. As owners of cats, they see that rabbits are their own creatures and bring their own joys and stresses. To me it reinforces the idea that rabbits are not beginner pets, at least not giant ones.

Conan and Xena are healthy and happy, though lately even more destructive then usual, and are losing their litter training somewhat. The destructive part I understand, I haven't been as careful with their surroundings as I usually am. The loss of litter habits has me scratching my head though. They poop more often everywhere, which i can let go since thats easy to clean, but often peeing outside the box is getting annoying. I dont think its illness related since they just had a check up and its not often enough, so I think it might be obstinacy on their part. I put another litterbox in the 2nd floor of their condo and put down some carpeting to make traction better, and yet still they pee outside the box. I'm trying now to lock them in their cage for a few days to limit their freedom and hope they get back to better habits. I'll expand their territory slowly, but I'm sure Im not doing our relationship any favors like this. I just feel bad punishing them like that, and I'll probably end up doing this all over again when we move.

Oh and that's another concern. I have to figure out a new set up now. We'll have more space, and now since I'll own I can make changes like cut a hole for a pet door so my rabbits can wander as they please without letting the cockatiels out (the current situation is he rabbits get full run of the big apartment and night while the birds are sleeping, during the day they're in the pet room). Of course we now want to limit the cockatiels a bit, not let them have whole room all the time so we need to buy a walk in aviary, which could also work as a rabbit den, but it also Means I got to get creative in making it a custom enclosure for both birds and rabbits. Dont need poop raining down on rabbits, while making sure the rabbits can come and go while the birds are a bit more restricted. Then again if the buns keep pooping and peeing like they've been, maybe he whole lot get their time a big restricted.

Its tough trying to give all the animals free time while making your life at lest somewhat easy. I wonder if they are truly my pets, or am i just theirs :)

Today is my first bunny's 2nd Birthday! Happy Day of Birth Conan the Bunbarian!!!

In other news, punishing my two trouble makes by limiting their territory has led to an interesting development. Apparently I caught Xena humping Conan. Poor guy, guess out of stress she felt the need to reestablish order. Not once did they do this when bonding a year ago but now...

Good to see you back and that these two are doing well but still causing headaches. I think they all do now and again. Bandy is pooping and always leaves a pee during the night outside the box. Probably due to medication so will last until he comes off it. Poor Conan, bet he wondered what was going on with Xena humping him again.

Good to see you got your new house, will be great to have more space for everyone, can't wait to see how you set up your space.

I do love seeing those two!

Congratulations on your home! I wonder how Conan and Xena will react to the move.

Give Conan a belated Birthday nose rub for me!

Nothing really new to report. Closing in on the house which is good, and the two areas of decoration that I'm most interested in is a new habitat for my buns and an outdoor grill. The thing I've come to realize about Conan & Xena is to feel most comfortable they like having a place with a roof over their, so human of them I guess. So an open pen is a no go, and for the next cage I want something that will be more harmonious with our decor, especially since they will now be in the TV room. Most hutches are too small and too outdoors looking so I ruled those out. Most furniture would only work for smaller bunnies, not my Giants. But I have an idea.

I was thinking of getting a high rise platform bed like this one
platform_clear_374x273.jpg

My thinking is it will be up against two walls and next to my couch so the one side, the headboard and part of the other side will be covered. Within, underneath it, I'll add the NIC cubes or a small pen to keep the buns from chewing the wood and contained when I need them to be. This way the space used for their habitat isn't completely lost and they gain the roof they so need to feel comfortable. In a pinch my family can sleep on it, even though I question how good a sleep anyone would get with giant rabbits as downstairs neighbors. But it can definitely be used to relax as a day bed thing.

Yeah, but sadly by wife didn't like it. Is it cause I' a man I got bad taste? Heh, I had to explain however most furniture hack for hutches is limited because our buns are too big so only a bed or dinning table will do.

Latest posts

Back