Conan the Bunbarian & Xena Bunnier Princess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, the coloured bathrooms remind me of Europe! Now you need the pink european toilet paper! :p

Since I got Hippogryff to bond with Phoenix, I purposely sectioned off the whole upstairs so that eventually I could use that as a neutral territory for bonding. Perhaps you should section off a certain room or something. How are they doing through the bars and such, are they somewhat getting along. When are you planning on introducing them.

Sorry I can`t use the question mark, my computer switched the keyboard over to french!! LOL.

Whitelop: My blue bathroom is what I think is called a half a bath, to small for me to comfortably fit and still manage Flemish Giants. Conan was has been in the kitchen, about 6 months ago and for very brief spurts. He didn't like being there and hasn't been in it for months now even with it being open to him.

holtzchick: I live on a single floor, so no option there. I have the kitchen, my bedroom, a place where Conan has snuck into but can't claim it as his own since we boot him out and I'd rather use it as a last resort. I also have my friends house but its a 20 min drive and I'd rather use it for the first big intro and then be more comfortable at home.

As for how they get along so far, here's the video (though it's not as good as I thought. I must have confused the pics for it.). [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfx_Y-6m4XE[/ame]

Photo Feb 11, 10 34 17 AM.jpg

Photo Feb 11, 10 31 58 AM.jpg

I just can´t believe how long her legs are...wow.

I so laughed as they´re like reflections of each other in the pics.

First one: he´s cleaning, she´s cleaning
Second one: he´s sprawled out, she´s sprawled out

They are definitely a good looking couple. I cannot wait to see them both together cuddling...it will be so worth waiting for.

I'm still about two months away from bonding them but I got to wondering. When the time comes to take Xena to the vet for spay, should I/do I bring Conan as well? I've tried to read up on this but most don't cover unbounded neigborly rabbits going places together. My thinking is no, why stress Conan but wanted to hear what others think.

They look so comfortable together. It seems like they were meant to be!

I'm not sure if you should take him to the vet or not. I guess maybe it would help with him smelling the same as her, but then again she has like a week or so of healing time before she can be let out of the cage. So I probably wouldn't take him and put him through that.

So nothing real new going on, mostly getting to know the rabbits better. Xena is very expressive, doing a snort and a thump when she doesn't like something. We've noticed she occasionally makes a single honking noise for no reason we can discern (not food or action related, does it when she's walking about). Also she begs for food which is so damned adorable, a thing Conan is far too dignified to do.

Conan meanwhile has been fluctuating moods. Last few days he seemed mopey and disinterested in things, today he's binkying like crazy and out and about having fun. I guess he was just having one of those days. Also because of Xena's proximity he's been abusing his stuffed penguin. Not humping, just grooming and biting it like crazy. Almost feel bad for the stuffie, which reminds me I gotto get a stuffie for Xena.

It's been a week plus and things appear to be going smoothly. Each rabbit gets at least four hours out time. Xena is quite the character. She's very vocal, grunting quietly when she's nearby me. Thumping at take off for a run, or when she stops a run, to say she doesn't like something or just at odd times. She also snorts on occasion, again usually to indicate some displeasure over something. She begs for food, once in a while follows me around, and eats drinks and poops like crazy. Over all a happy bun, but she doesn't look like she's putting on weight strangely. The only thing I don't like about her is when Im cleaning her litter box she soils the empty space. Can't she wait a bit, sheesh.

Conan is is usual stoic self. Quiet, some days out and about and others days cage bound. He did an odd thing the other day, peed outside his litter box and has been pooping pills outside it a little more which made my wife panic a little thinking that the territorial markings have begun. I explained how well we've had it and if she heard some of the stories other people suffer through she'd kiss the rabbits even more for their good behavior. Lately Conan has been shedding a great deal, I guess his seasonal moot maybe, so I've been grabbing him up for a proper brushing. It's hard to tell if he likes or dislikes it. I mean he struggles a bit, but then he seems to like it as well. I think a lot of what he does with us is like that. It's hard to give him treats but once he gets them he's into it, so it just seems like I'm dealing with a very stubborn bunny who just wants things done at his own time, I.E. treats to be fed in his cage and rubs to take place only there.

Together they seem real calm. During her out time she lies by the side of his cage and he obliges her in turn. Part of why I think he's pooping more often out of his litter box is because he doesn't like leaving her side. She also gravitates to him. Granted this can be wishful thinking on my part. Conan does rattle his cage at times and looks manic to get out so It might just be aggression. Xena however is completely calm and repaxed around him. Today I'm setting up the appointment to have her spayed in two weeks and hopefully by next month I can start bonding and finally get an indication if I'm making things up in my head or they really are getting along.

Other little tid bits. I cleaned their cages on Monday and when I saw Xena had peed in the spot her litter box is usually at I went into frantic clean up mode to give her back her litter box before more torrential urine flowed, forgetting to keep the gate in place. This lead to the rabbits almost having their first fateful meeting (Conan was in the living room and Xena made it out to the hallway). Luckily tragedy, or triumph depending on who you ask, was averted and I more quickly then I've have was able to pick her up. Conan never saw a thing! This week also saw my main bird man Oberon of our cockatiels Oberon and Titania turn out to be a female. We know this for a fact because she laid eggs and is being a proper mother to them. It's both cute and sad because they'll never get fertilized so it's a week long of stress for my former buddy now female bestie. Also it means that me, Conan and our Betta fish Haiku are outnumbered by the females now! Here are some pics just cause...

Photo Feb 27, 8 20 23 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 18, 10 30 50 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 03, 7 34 23 PM.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

Last edited:
They do look as though they are getting on even in their cages. I love the pictures of them lounging about and great that the birds have laid eggs.

Litter boxes, why do they not like you messing with them, they have to be there supervising lol.

I did laugh so much as him abusing his stuffy, he´s obviously quite taken with her but can´t show his affection lol.

Hi!
So far this is working for me with the litter box area, I bought two! So I prepare the new litter box with the paper litter & then grab their "dirty" litter pan out & immediately switch in the new clean pan! My buns jump right in to check it out & make sure it is properly comfortable before giving their seal of approval! lol

Love your cockatiels! I'm owned by birds too! My birds are the reason I started looking into bunnies as I wanted another furry family member that I did not have to fear would harm my birds should they accidentally meet. Love cats but know they are too dangerous to have them with birds, even their saliva can be deadly to birds & those claws that can leave unnoticeable but deadly punctures! Love dogs but my house is too small & not in a good area (too many high traffic roads) for a dog. After much research into various pets I went back to the bunny I wanted as a child & never got! So now I have two Jersey Wooly bunnies to love!

Oh, the gotta-pee-NOW move. Q-tip plays that all the time. I'll offer her the litter box before I take it to clean, she looks at me like I'm crazy, and as soon as I'm gone, she pees in the spot where it was. I think she just likes to feel smarter than her human.

I'm loving the bunny/bird combo. My roommate's Indian Ringneck is TERRIFIED of the bunny. Then again, he's terrified of everything....Conan looks so cute with the birds just chilling around him.

I love their updates....one of my favorite bunny blogs!

lol Think most "pets" like to outsmart their humans! So much fun! lol

Birds are afraid of new things &/or animals & things they don't know. My birds have not "officially" met my buns. My bunny breeder has an African grey parrot. So the buns were used to some bird noise so they don't get excited or notice much when my birds are a bit noisy! I think if I were to ever get them close the birds would probably not be thrilled with bunnies in the family. I will probably gradually let them get closer without being able to have contact with each other just so they become accepting of each other & not fearful. Don't want bunny or birdy upset or afraid. Always keep everyone supervised if they are out of their cage, buns & birds! I'm a big worry wart! lol

I'm loving the bunny/bird combo. My roommate's Indian Ringneck is TERRIFIED of the bunny. Then again, he's terrified of everything....Conan looks so cute with the birds just chilling around him.

Birds just chilling! No my good man, those birds are more like dogs. They constantly want to hang out on you, begging for head rubs, drinking our water (Titania tries to steal sips of coffee and even succeeds sometimes), grubbing after our food. Heck half the reason the rabbit cage cleaning takes as long as it does is because they get in Conan's cage and in their course of stealing hay and pellets they poop up a storm in there. But it is cute that when the bird aren't jealous of the rabbits getting head rubs they try to help us groom Conan & Xena. It only goes bad when the rabbit's try to sniff these little guys.

I am just trying to imagine all this, they sound like a real hoot...you should get it on video so we all laugh at you trying to sort them all out lol.

Breaking News: While I'm at work my wife has an off day and I get the following pic texted to me with the message "Very Bad Bunny." Apparently Xena somehow managed to pull down the spot check waste basket on top of her pen and spill the contents on her freshly cleaned area. I tell you, how do you punish such a pretty face, or rather how do you do a time out when they're already in their cage.

image.jpg

Hahaha Awh love the pictures and good updates.

Hmmm it's not a bad idea to leave the litter boxes soiled for a bit longer and frequently swap them so they have the chance to be in the other rabbits soiled box and get used to scents. I love the birds With the buns they're adorable. If the female has laid eggs and they will not be fertilized it's a really good idea to crush them up into her food because she needs to make up for the lost calcium.

Your buns are gorgeous together! I can't wait until the bond (easier said than done :/)

I love her face in that. She's like "hey! Look what I did!!"
I can't imagine friendly birds who would want head rubs! This little guy here was a rescue, and terribly abused before my roommate got him. He's still young, but he's ridiculously afraid of hands. I'm not sure I'd know what to do if a bird wanted to PLAY!!!

I think it´s more like "hey, what you looking at, it was there, what did you expect". Yes, humans told off for leaving it where she could reach...a bunny does what a bunny has to do lol. She is so darn cute, who could get mad at her.

Latest posts

Back