Composting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used their bunny's litterbox contents for composting? it occured to me that the ingredients (wood, poop, pee) could be fine .. the tricky part seems to be getting the ratio of carbon to nitrogen right.

I'm wanting to get into composting and living a more eco-friendly lifestyle ^____^

why is the wood and pee a bit different? I won't be doing any poo sorting anytime soon.

Wood decomposes different then the poo. Wood you would ideally want to allow it to break down a little before dumping in your garden. Decomposition is usually quite acidic. Urine can also burn.
Its fine all together if youre composting it and waiting the right amount of time. But the wood/urine shouldnt be used directly on plants like bunny poop could be.

Has anyone ever used their bunny's litterbox contents for composting? it occured to me that the ingredients (wood, poop, pee) could be fine .. the tricky part seems to be getting the ratio of carbon to nitrogen right.

I'm wanting to get into composting and living a more eco-friendly lifestyle ^____^
dear lavendertealatte,--once upon a time I organic gardened,-the bunz provided the fertilizer-the poop boxes were of timothy grasses/poop,-worked great-sincerely james waller

I dump my litter trays into my sun flower garden. I use pine pellets as litter. We will till it all into the soil in the spring. I've never had any kind of an issue, but since we use a rototiller & churn it all together, that probably helps.

I have a stand alone compost bin and all the rabbit litter box stuff gets dumped into it. Of course, we also have chickens and add whatever compostable food items we have that our animals don't eat. As long as you let it sit long enough to heat up and have the micro-organisms do their thing it should be fine. Be careful not to put poop directly into your garden as it will heat up when composting and can hurt whatever you plant there.

Latest posts

Back