commands your rabbits can understand (but doesn't necessarily follow)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailof2rabbits

Reaction score
Marbles is 10 weeks old. He understands and can do the following:

"drink water" (He does this mostly because he knows once he's drinked water, I let him out.)

"stand up" (He can hold it for an average of 6 seconds. He's held it for around 8 seconds once or twice though. Treats helped out at first.)

"down" (for when he latches on to the door of his cage... makes it difficult for me to open because he'll fall through.)

"come here" (This only works when he's not on a project. He's very project-oriented. His main goal right now is to jump the area separating him and the kitchen, the laundry area, and the bathroom. He's cleared it plenty of times so it keeps getting higher and higher. Right now we're at three feet.)

"where's mommy?" (Hide and seek, natch. Sometimes for fun he just sits there and waits for me to tire of hiding and come out, which is all of ten seconds.)

"kiss mommy" (He kisses me on the lips with his nose and licks me.)

When he doesn't feel like it, he'll look at me and then pointedly ignore me. :D I'd say he obeys 80% of the time. I'm not including "no" in the list because god knows he hardly ever pays attention to that. Hahaha. He goes everywhere he's not supposed to.

That's so cute! I haven't tried too many voice commands, mainly because my first bun is a little diva and does what she wants. For example, Mocha knows both her name and the word "no", but refuses to respond to them unless she feels like it. She prefers to make me come over to stop her from doing something naughty, and then she binkies happily away. I'm sooo trained!

All the buns:
Veggies! Veggies for the bunnies!= feeding time/ go back in the cage

Loki responds to his name and to "no." His response to his name depends on how I say it- if he's in trouble or if I'm just trying to get his attention.

Sprite- I'm not sure yet if she knows her name and doesn't care, or just doesn't know her name. She responds to anything in a harsher tone as a "no" command.

Fey- knows her name and "no." If chastised, she usually stops doing whatever it was for at least a couple of days. Pooping in front of Mocha's cage is the exception, and is understandable for her.

Isn't that funny. I have a 6 week old girl named Mocha, and she's a diva too! Hahaha. She's calm and serene. She's a little lady. How she LOVES being pampered. She likes being snuggled but when she's had enough, she'll nip me. No head shaking, no moving away. She'll just nip. She recognizes her name, "come out" and "inside". Marbles too, I forgot to put that in. Marbles understands "kiss daddy", and did "go to daddy" (when my fiance got home and walked through the front door) for the first time today. Well, I only thought of saying that today. Marbles binkies all over the place but I can't remember a time when Mocha did. I'm still not decided whether she's unhappy or that she thinks binkies are beneath her. *Snicker*

Sprite- I'm not sure yet if she knows her name and doesn't care, or just doesn't know her name. She responds to anything in a harsher tone as a "no" command.
Hahaha. That's so cute. How old is she? Man, you have a lot of bunnies. How do you clean up? My back hurts from scrubbing my floors as it is with just two.

Fey- knows her name and "no." If chastised, she usually stops doing whatever it was for at least a couple of days. Pooping in front of Mocha's cage is the exception, and is understandable for her.
Mocha poops IN Marbles' cage. Marbles nudges her away from his water bottle and gnaws on hers. Sigh. He's trying to resist her charms but she's winning him over. She licks and licks till he gives in with a belly flop. He pounces on her cage. I highly doubt it's anything sexual (yet) or territorial (although he likes peeing around his cage... some kind of protection, yes? Haha.)... he just wants her food.

It could actually be sexual. Rabbits can hit puberty as early as 2.5 months= 10 weeks. It definately sounds like he's marking his territory. Are you going to have them neutered? You'll at least need to keep them separate when Mocha reaches that age too.

My Mocha binkies, but it's like small gracefull shivers instead of the big floppy leaps that my other bunnies like.

I have four bunnies, and it is a fair bit of work. Especially since they don't all like each other. Mocha and Loki live together and are completely in love. Fey and Sprite are sisters who used to be bonded until I got too ambitious. I tried to get all four to like each other, and Mocha hurt Fey badly. I had to keep Fey separate while she healed, and now she and Sprite don't get along.:( So I have three separate playtimes to juggle, unless I can convince Fey and Sprite to like each other again.

Oh, and Sprite is about two years old. Her first year and a half (and Fey's) was spent in a small cage outside, ignored by her owner. She's still learning about people.

Pepper and Gaelyn both understand 'No' and 'Hey'. It means stop doing whatever your doing and run in bunny.

they understand 'treats'

Pepper understands 'kiss', Gaelyns still learning it.

They understand 'greens' cuz they'll binky.

Im sure theres more, but i cant think of them right now.

I think JJ understands "no" and his name, but the only thing he'll respond to is crackling a bag (he automatically assumes he's getting lettuce, then).

:disgust:

They both understand 'Hey' but don't nessecarily listen. They'll look at me like, 'aww. C'mon mom!'
They always know the different types of 'bunny.' There's the type I say as a slow warning 'bunnnnnnny,' and 'bunny!' as a hint that I'm happy.

They know a tongue cluck means they're in the way ;)

"oi" means no, bad, and get down. but only can be applied to Rue and Kweli.

and when i make a kissy noise, i get a kiss.

Sometimes I cheat. :D Every now and then, he ignores me when I call him. I rustle plastic bags. THEN he comes running. Hehe. I know it's a bit mean but I lavish him with praises whenever he does this. It's the perfect way to get him out of trouble without having to physically remove him or making him fat.

peapoo definately knows what "no!" or "NO PEAPOO!" means. she also knows her name, but most of the time she only comes when she feels like it:disgust:.. she also comes running when she hears anything that sounds like a bag or box of treats

My bun seems to understand "NO!", but she will almost immediately respond to the sound of a plastic bag of cheerios, or the sound of a shaken box of bunny 'yoghurt' drops! "give me a kiss" is something she has mastered with my husband, not with me (hmmm).

Reading all that was good for me. I was beginning to think I'm not feeding my bunnies enough. They always seem to be begging for treats, and they get way too excited when they hear rustling of plastic bags. :jumpforjoy:

Marbles has half un-toilet trained himself. By half, I mean he still puts at least half of his poop and pee where it's supposed to go, but then leaves some presents outside, just for the heck of it. It was worse during the first couple days of Mocha's arrival. Mocha is not responding to toilet training either. Pfft.

Simon responds to "Can I have kiss?" by lifting his head up for a kiss on his nose. Sometimes he charges his nose into my face, which is pretty adorable.

Austin knows he's in trouble if I say his name in a low voice (Auuustin - NO!). Sometimes when he's caught doing something naughty he binkies away, almost like he's laughing at me.

Both bunnies go bonkers when they hear a shaking Craisin bag. They also know when their greens are coming because I usually say "LOOK at what I have!!", after which they fall over themselves with excitement.

Jeff

I've tried to teach my buns voice commands, but did they listen? nooo, never!
I think one of them must understand NO by now, cause he's heard it ALOT... like when he sprays someone :disgust: (bad bunny!) Maybe I'll try again... Maybe it'll work... or maybe I just happen to have stubborn, disobedient buns!

This is how I've taught my bunny "NO". When I was teaching, I'd pair the verbal command with a visual (finger shake). After my bun caught on, when she realized she'd had the 'deja vu' of hearing "NO" in all the same places, sometimes only a brief "NO", plus a finger shake will work. Other times, when she appears to be 'trying my patience' or just simply 'testing' to see if I really have eyes in the back of my head, a swift finger shake while she is looking will do.

Skippy is 10 weeks old. Skippy understands "no" and "hey" also. (Whether he'll listen to them,that's another story. lol) He knows his name. He knows my husbands name, which he isn't too happy about. He understands"Come here". He also understands " Lunch time! " lol and he knows the sound of the fridge opening.

"Both bunnies go bonkers when they hear a shaking Craisin bag."

They eat craisin's? I didn't know that..hmm.

Yeah, most of us feed the buns craisins (or generic), but if your bun is only 10wks old i wouldnt give him anything. I dont think i gave Pepper any treats until he was over 12wks (after i introduced greens to him).

Ah I see. Skippy has Timothy hay, red leaf/romaine lettuce(Whichever I have on me) baby carrots,rabbit pellets..and occassionally yogurt chips.So, he has some veggies. But, I had no idea you could give them craisins.

My bun also enjoys almonds and walnuts. She would love it on a desert island, or in the tropics...she loves tiny pieces of exotic fruit like kiwi, pineapple, apple cores, pear, etc.;)

Latest posts

Back