Colour genetics lilac and gold tipped steel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule ears

Reaction score
So I don't know much about colour genetics but am reading up. we acquired a doe from someone and she who was in with a bunny they thought was also a doe and surprise she's a he! Looking like your doe was bred and will have a litter I was curious what the kits could be? she is lilac and the buck looked like a gold tipped steel I think.

I know nothing about this and it will probably be best answered by one of the breed experts in the Rabbitry page... However, I found a pretty cool website showing the allele makeups of different colors. Rabbits have a pretty complex, but easy to follow punnet square as far as color expression. Look at the AABBCCDDEE at the bottom, that shows what traits they're displaying. Mapping your pet rabbit's color punnet square can be pretty fun if you're bored and have an interest in getting a better grasp of gene expression!

http://www.rebeccasrabbitry.com/minilopcolorguide.html

What breed are they?
If you don't know much about their background you can only guess at what colors they might make. Gold-tipped Steel or Chestnut colored babies are fairly likely.

What breed are they?
If you don't know much about their background you can only guess at what colors they might make. Gold-tipped Steel or Chestnut colored babies are fairly likely.
I beleive the buck is a flemish giant not sure on the doe I'm not on the up on rabbit breeds I can tell a lop and a rex and that's about it. Ill post a photo of her. Darn I love the lilac but the babies will be adorable no matter what.

Attachments

• 20200504_184155.jpg
    20200504_184155.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 4
I know nothing about this and it will probably be best answered by one of the breed experts in the Rabbitry page... However, I found a pretty cool website showing the allele makeups of different colors. Rabbits have a pretty complex, but easy to follow punnet square as far as color expression. Look at the AABBCCDDEE at the bottom, that shows what traits they're displaying. Mapping your pet rabbit's color punnet square can be pretty fun if you're bored and have an interest in getting a better grasp of gene expression!

http://www.rebeccasrabbitry.com/minilopcolorguide.html
Thanks! I'll take a look for sure

She doesn't look lilac to me. She looks like some sort of agouti. Maybe an opal or a squirrel?

All the dilute colors sort of look similar to me from pictures ;) . But this one definitely has agouti markings
Lilacs should be a solid color throughout the whole rabbit. But on this rabbit you can see that inside the ears is paler, along with lighter eye rings and jowls. (circled in red). Those are markings usually seen with otter or agouti rabbits. Sometimes its also seen in some steels. Opal is the most likely color (otter isn't as common in large breed rabbits). Squirrel, Gold-tipped Blue Steel, Silver-tipped Blue Steel would be reasonable colors as well. If you are really curious you can blow into her coat and try to get a picture of her undercolor.

That doesn't change what color babies are likely though - still probably gold-tipped black steel and chestnuts. And then probably some other colors depending colors the parents carry.
1590034251075.png

Oh I see! I looked at her coat and the part of the hair closer to the skin is white and then the tips of the hair have the coloured portion.

Latest posts

Back