Color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
This kit is 7 days old today, the photo was taken yesterday. I'm just curious if there's even a word or phase for her markings?:?
She looks like her mother who is Broken Black, and her father is otter colored.
Her siblings are; 2 pure black, 1 broken black (mostly white) and 3 broken black (mostly black). If it wasn't for the brown on her head, I'd consider her a broken black, but where there should be black on her head, it's more of a chestnut. :shock:
I've never seen this before. Should I expect more of this, breeding a broken black and an otter? This is both the mother and fathers first living litter. The had one previous litter, which was all pure black and broken black kits.
s5wuas.jpg

pamnock wrote:
True genetic broken blackx otter couldnever produce a dominant chestnut agouti.
Is that what you think her markings might be? Chestnut Agouti, I mean.

As far as background goes, as far as I know, on her mothers side, the last few generations have all been broken black, and the father, I was told is purebred Otter colored Mini Rex, but I don't know what other colors he may have in his background.

They should be opening their eyes in the next day or two, and they're starting to get really active. :D Can't wait until they all start hoping around the cage!

It looks like it could be.

It doesn't matter what's in the backgrounds of the black and otter. True black x otter can't produce chestnut agouti.

If it's a chesnut agouti, either the buck isn't the buck that was bred to that doe, or the varieties of the sire and dam have been misidendified.

I know what buck it was because we only have one buck for the time being, and the dame has had a litter with us before, so it wasn't her first litter here.

On a side note, the bunny pictured above now has her eyes open, and today I noticed a lot more of the black in the photo is turning a very pretty Chestnut color. I will get another photo tomorrow.

Question. Do all Chestnut colored buns start out black? :?

pamnock wrote:
All chestnuts start out black.
I learned something new today.
As the days go by, she is turning a beautiful Chestnut color. I am just so excited on how pretty this particular baby is turning out. Never would I have guessed that my Sparkles (Broken Black) and Bugz (Otter) would end up with a Broken Chestnut Agouti baby. Never. But she's gorgeous.

I got ahold of Sparkles grandparents owner. I know her parents were both Broken Black, but either her grandfather or great-grandfather (we're not sure which) was a Chestnut Mini Rex.

I was just looking up a little more about baby bunnies being born black and turning Chestnut. Since these are Mini Rex, wouldn't the correct term for their color be Castor? Or did I misread?

In order for it to be a broken chocolate otter - both parents would have to be chocolate carriers. So while it is possible - I'm not sure how likely that is.

And as Pam says - there is no way for a black and otter (broken or not) breeding to give chestnuts.

The father is a Black Otter. Mother is a Broken Black. But since I got the father from a family who bred them (they said he was purebred) I don't know any of his background. Isn't it possible that he is a throw back, just like this baby apparently is?

A "throwback" is impossible if the gene isn't there at all. Do you have any updated photos? A true geneticbroken black x otter can't produce an agouti. If the offspring is an agouti, either the buck wasn't the otter or the broken "black" could have been a dark steel agouti.

The buck had to have been the Black Otter - he's the only buck we have. How do you tell the difference between a Broken Black and a Dark Steel Agouti?

Here is the most up-to-date photo I have of this kit.
33ehj69.jpg

We actually lost her last night, so I won't be able to give anymore photos. =( At this point in time, we do plan on breeding the parents again, mainly to see if we get anymore of this color.

sorry you lost the little one.

i actually just typed up a nice, long post that was MEANT for this thread, but i put it in your other thread instead. oops! so i will copy it here, too.

in all species, black is recessive to agouti (castor/chestnut). if you have two black animals, they are are genetically unable to produce agoutis. there cannot be "throwbacks", because the gene for agouti is simply not there. breeding aa (black) to aa (black) cannot suddenly make AA (agouti not carrying black) or Aa (agouti carrying black). the babies would all get one recessive (a/) gene from each parent, making them ALL aa (black). different genes would determine if they otter or broken, i am not familiar enough with RABBIT genetics to know what those are. if you bred your castor to a black (broken or otherwise), and produced mainly blacks with only a few castors, that would mean your castor was Aa (agouti carrying black). if the castor had been AA, all the babies would have inherited one dominant agouti gene from the castor parent, and one recessive agouti gene from the black parent, meaning they would have been Aa, or agouti carrying black. the only way to get both castor and black in the same litter is for at least one parent to castor carrying black. if both parents are castor carrying black, you would get a pretty even mix of black and castor. if one parent was castor carrying black, and the other was black, you would get more black babies than castor.

Latest posts

Back