color genetics breeding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camie8

Reaction score
I am going to be getting a black mini rex doe on thursday andI have a friend who has a mini rex buck.I want to breed the two butI am unsure of her bucks color.I believe he is a tricolor...what do you think?He is white with black and a darker brown colored spots on his back with a little bit of a lighter brown on the top of his head.I was wondering what colors i would get out of the two if I bred them.

This first picture is of her buck...its a crummy picture for his colorand the only one she could get of him... andthe second one is a pic from the web that shows what his brown kinda looks like on his back.

securedownload.jpg

4140427193_7d7f579276_z.jpg

What is the purpose of the breeding? If you are breeding for showable stock, I don't recommend breeding self colors such as black to tri-color (can produce "tort" tri-colors). Ideally, tri (broken harlequin) should be agouti.

If i breedit willnot befor show because the buck is my friends pet and the doe is not a pet. She has been shown before by my moms cousin and has 29 legs. I would like to find a good buck to pair her up with but i cant find anyone near mewith any for sale in my price range. I could probably get one from my moms cousin but she is a bit limmited.

From the breeding, you could get brokens, black, chesnut (if the tri is an agouti - I can't tell from the posted photo and can't access the 2nd photo), harlequin, tri or other varieties depending what recessives each rabbit is carrying.

That buck looks like a broken castor to me, from this angle. Tri-color presents itself as distinct spots of black and orange (like a calico cat). Castor breeds fine with black, and usually just produces castors (called chestnut in other breeds), unless the castor carries for self, which will produce blacks. Since the buck is broken, you will most likely get brokens in whatever colors you get, as well as solids.

The buck has this red/golden/orange color. It is like brown but very yellowish. I am not sure how is that color called officially. I would say the color of deer, but a little brighter. The REW's parents are black with black eyes(father) and mother is REW.

Most likely you'd get a bunch of chestnuts. It sounds like the buck is an orange/red. Do you know what the REW's maternal grandparents are? REWs could be any color under the white.

from the pic the buck appears to be a Tri'd castor...I have a few of them in my Tri program. They are needed to make sure the tri I breed are agoutis and not a "self" tri aka a torted tri. You will get black and castor (bkn and solid) and quite poss. if your doe carries tort, torted tri or harlequins.

Well nevermind, I guess it has to be REW. But still, with an REW you might have to go even farther back in the pedigree to determine what colors the babies will be. Also depends on what's in the dad's pedigree.

Latest posts

Back