color experts...wanna guess?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
What color is my lionhead?

thanks

IMG_6994.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_7005.jpg

IMG_7009.jpg

I want to use him because He has great short ears and I like his body..... His mane lacks very much but I'm going to bred him with my double mane tort-black but wondering what color babies he might have.

he has these colors in his pedigree

tort
tort black
sable point
chin
REW
choc point marten

What's the difference between a frosty and a smoke pearl and a siamese smoke pearl?

I'm thinking Sable Point, but I don't have a lot of experinace with LHs and I'm going off Mini Rex coloring.

so do you think the white around the nose is a marten? Is there a frosty marten?

I will double check the eyes in the am but I want to say brown but not positive....

sheandg wrote:
so do you think the white around the nose is a marten? Is there a frosty marten?

I will double check the eyes in the am but I want to say brown but not positive....

The white lacing around the nose indicates that the rabbit is either an agouti or tan pattern - not a self sable point.

I'm thinking the shading is too dark to be an agouti sable point frosty. The sable point frostys are generally much lighter (sometimes nearly pure white). His pedigree indicates that sable point marten (fox)is possible because there is a marten in his pedigree. Most people generally don't recognize what they actually are, but we are seeing the sable point and tort martens more frequently in breeds that have accepted tan pattern colors such as Mini Rex and Holland Lops. They are also occasionally seen in Netherland Dwarfs, but people generally avoid mixing the varieties together that will produce those colors.

Pam

yep he has brown eyes.

maybe i'll use him this time and see what colors he throws. I really would love to get some oranges do you think that would be a possibility? using my tort black doe. I also have a blue doe

boy..... the more I keep looking the more confused I get I see all these colors and not sure what he is

frosted pearl
sable frost
sable point marten
frosty

I am hoping he is a sable frost because if i use him with my tort there is a good chance of an orange when I typed it into a calculator.....

sheandg wrote:
yep he has brown eyes.

maybe i'll use him this time and see what colors he throws. I really would love to get some oranges do you think that would be a possibility? using my tort black doe. I also have a blue doe

You would need to breed to an agouti rabbit (I suspect yours is a tan pattern - not agouti), you would also need to breed to another non-extension color, and you need the full color "C" gene.

If you don't have an orange to breed to, a chestnut agouti that is known to carry non-extension would be a good choice for producing orange.

If your Lionis a tan pattern and not anagouti, no oranges will be produced from breeding to a tort. Tort and tort marten would be likely (tort martens (aka tort otter)are often mistaken for orange).

Tort marten: http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/tortotter.html

It's sometimes easier to refer to some colors by genotype rather than name, especially when there are many genotype variations that produce a similar color. I suspect your rabbit is at _ B_ cchl_ D_ ee The frost version would beA _ B_ cchl_ D_ ee

Pam

thanks

so my best bet is to find an orange lionhead?

so if he is a sable point marten and I breed him to my tort-black what should I expect to get?....sorry I just reread your post and you answered that already!!!

she has in her pedigree

siamese sable
sable point
REW
Blue
Pointed white black
Black

now is there a difference between tort and tort black?

thanks....I am so new to all this but oh so willing to learn

tort and black tort are the same thing - sometimes folks use black tort to distinquish it from a blue tort or a lilac tort or chocolate tort...

Latest posts

Back