Color change in the urine after peeing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombur

Reaction score
Hi to everybody,
I have a holland lop eared bunny named bombur. I have a trouble with him and I could not find any solution to bomburs problem whixh is as follows:
More tham one month ago, he started to peeing in red color and sometimes in brown. Sometimes he makes the per in normal yellow color and afterwards his pee turns out to red. I have searched many forum sites and unfortunately I have no rabbit savvy vet nearby and I do not know what to to do. Please help me if you have encoıntered this problem before. I need your help please respond.

Cute name for your bunny. Must be a LOTR fan!

Could you describe Bombur's normal daily diet? Often the food can change the color of a rabbit's urine. Normal healthy rabbit urine can be clear, yellow, orange, reddish brown, etc.

Cute name for your bunny. Must be a LOTR fan!

Could you describe Bombur's normal daily diet? Often the food can change the color of a rabbit's urine. Normal healthy rabbit urine can be clear, yellow, orange, reddish brown, etc.

Hi there,
Thank you for your cooperation. Yes I am a big fan of the LOTR and all Tolkiens books:).
Normal daily diet consists of hay, food mix, sometimes treats, fresh veggies an fruits. Yes I know that all these colours are normal but the unusual thing is the colour change after peeing. He makea the pee yellow and it turns out to red as it meets with air a few minutes later.

I am also a LOTR fan - - since well before the movies ever came out. :)

Hmm.. not heard before of the color changing after it comes out. Is it just that it looks more yellow until the puddle gets thicker and the thickness is what reveals the darker color?

The healthiest pellets are plain and have no colorful bits mixed in. The "gourmet" mixes are not recommended. If by "food mix," you meant one of those mixes, you may want to consider gradually transitioning to a healthier pellet brand. Here are some options.

Fruits are considered treats. These are best limited to no more than 1-2 tbsp per day max. (Carrots are high in sugar and could be considered a treat as well).

Of course any colorful (dyed) bits in pellet mixes, as well as carrots and dark colored fruits can alter the urine color. But sounds like you know this already.

Perhaps Jenny, our health moderator, will be familiar with the issue you describe and can offer an explanation.

I am also a LOTR fan - - since well before the movies ever came out. :)

Hmm.. not heard before of the color changing after it comes out. Is it just that it looks more yellow until the puddle gets thicker and the thickness is what reveals the darker color?

The healthiest pellets are plain and have no colorful bits mixed in. The "gourmet" mixes are not recommended. If by "food mix," you meant one of those mixes, you may want to consider gradually transitioning to a healthier pellet brand. Here are some options.

Fruits are considered treats. These are best limited to no more than 1-2 tbsp per day max. (Carrots are high in sugar and could be considered a treat as well).

Of course any colorful (dyed) bits in pellet mixes, as well as carrots and dark colored fruits can alter the urine color. But sounds like you know this already.

Perhaps Jenny, our health moderator, will be familiar with the issue you describe and can offer an explanation.

Hi again,

You may consult to these pics enclosed.

Pee instant: https://ufile.io/g4zqi

Pee 10 min later : https://ufile.io/fztf0

Pee 30 min later: https://ufile.io/r17a8

Unfotunately, there is a lot of junk information about bunny diet. And I could not find the appropriate diet for bombur and open for advices.

Hm, I use drop pans under the hutches to catch the urine, I know they pee a light yellow, but what is in there ise dark brown after some time. I guess it's some reaction with oxygen, or some bacteria doing their thing.

About diet,this a very good site, worth a read:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

I think it is a result of the oxydation upon my web search.

That site very useful. Thanks for yout advice.

Meant to mention that if you are comparing pellet options, this link may be helpful (from my site) as well as this one:
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Was also remembering that when I joined this forum, I had a white rabbit named Shadowfax (I'm sure you'll get the reference!) and before that I had a gray lop named Gandalf. :D

[I've had other rabbits too, but those were the ones with the nod to LOTR.]

That list looks awesome. However, maybe 99% of these foods are not present in my country (Turkey). So I am using a local brand and newly ordered a Versle-Laga food (not in the list, maybe better than local brands).
Your name choices are incredible, I would like congratulate you. If I would have a gray lop, he will definitely have the name of Gandalf with no doubt. When bombur have first come to my house I said to myself: this guy should have a name from the Dwarven Company, but who?
When I was thinkinga bout Thorin, I discovered that he was eating a lot and continuously. So he got the name of Bombur :) and I do not regret this selection.

Latest posts

Back