color, breed help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthempigs

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody can tell me the correct name for Buddy's coloring and if you have any idea on his breed. I'm guessing American but that's just a guess.

buns023.jpg

buns024.jpg

buns025.jpg

His whiskers are a bit curly, I haven't seen that before and didn't know if that was a trait of a particular breed.

I don't know his weight but he is still young so I'm sure he still has some growing to do :)

I'm not so sure on him being a rex but I'm certainly not an expert in types/breeds.

Any idea on the curly whiskers?

OMG he looks just like this Mini rex doe that i raised and sold to a youth for breeding stock, Black Gold. I know Black Gold has died and her grandmother, Marble, looked exactly the same.
WOW, just WOW.
Looks just like Black Gold and Marble, a bit on the large side for a mini rex, but way toooo small for standard Rexes

Interesting, I never thought of him being a rex. Is it just the texture of the coat that makes a rex? Are the curly whiskers a trait of a rex?

I am new at this and but have been reading loads of books and looking at lots of bunny pic's and I thought he looked like a rex too! Yay for me! LOL! He is super cute and love the curly whiskers!!!

luvthempigs wrote:
Interesting, I never thought of him being a rex. Is it just the texture of the coat that makes a rex? Are the curly whiskers a trait of a rex?

Any breed of rabbit can be bred to have a rex coat. The Rex breed is a medium commercial breed and the "mini" rex is a compact version.

Pam

He seems to have the mini rex face and everything. I am sure he is. I have had 4 adult mini rex and one litter of them. So, I am pretty sure he is a rex. Standard Rex if he ends up being large or a mini if he stays small. Like 5 punds and lower would be mini, but if he gets closer to 10 pounds, he would be a standard.

Cool! I don't know why I am so surprised to hear that he is a rex, it just never crossed my mind :p

I love his coloring and he is as sweet as can be. He was young when I got him (not sure how old though) the end of January. I should really weigh him and see about where he is size wise. He isn't very big right now, not sure how much longer he has to grow.

luvthempigs wrote:
Is it just the texture of the coat that makes a rex? Are the curly whiskers a trait of a rex?
Yes, curly whiskers is a Rex trait. It goes along with the Rex fur.

scone_0469.jpg

Rex and mini-Rex rabbits have undercoat and guard hairs which are the same length, so the hairs stand up giving a texture like velvet.

Definitely harly and definitely rex or mini-rex - gonna guess mini-rex cause of his body..... I have a castor mini-rex....

pamnock wrote:
luvthempigs wrote:

Any breed of rabbit can be bred to have a rex coat. The Rex breed is a medium commercial breed and the "mini" rex is a compact version.

Pam
WHAT?!?! I thought only mini-rex and Rex had rex coat!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
WHAT?!?! I thought only mini-rex and Rex had rex coat!
Not sure about other breeds, but there are Velveteen Lops and Plush Lops and mini-Plush lops, all of which have rex fur.

Latest posts

Back