Collars for Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontuner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

SOOoooo i have an issue where my little girls will hop around my room and when i turn around they are gone. It takes me usually 20 minutes at least to find them. Are their collars with bells i can buy for them? I was at the pet store and even the kitten collars seemed a tad big. Any online sites anyone knows of?

Hi,
You shouldn't put a collar on a rabbit because they can get caught up in them, struggle and easily choke, break bones and it can be fatal. ;)

I agree with Grace.

I have seen some people put collars on their rabbits, but really I just think it's too dangerous... It might be ok for indoors, but I still don't think I'd risk it. They could get it caught on something unexpected and if they struggle they could really hurt themselves. ;)

We don't even put collars on our cats because my mom has had too many cats get caught up in things.

You could get a harness. That would bemore reasonable; and they have bells. The only thing is that they're quite like a collar, just also with a belly piece. But, I don't think the rabbits would like wearing a harness 24/7 ;)

Emily

ya i see your points.. and they wouldnt be on 24/7 i only let them out for small periods at a time.

Pipp had the cutest little pink collar when she was young, and if I hadn't lost it, I'd probably still have it on her when we go out visiting, but only under constant supervision. (If she ever got lost, I figured it was very important to know she was a much-loved pet).

That said, I think it had a bell when I bought it, but she refused to hop with the bell on. Maybe their ears are so sensitive it makes them feel very insecure not being able to hear predators, but she really hated the bell.

Not sure where I got the collar, but I haven't found one that small since.

sas :bunnydance:

I have a 1600sq condo with 3 floors that I let my bunny's run around. There have been a few times I have panicked because I couldn't find them. Though usually they hide in the same spots. What I do when I can't find them is get out the treats and shake it really loud. They usually come running. Though if you have to do this several times a day it wouldn't really work because they would be getting to many treats. But if it is a once and a while thing that might work. The only other suggestion I have is to try to block off certain hiding spots so you have less places to look. Good luck.

i really don't think a collar or a harness are good ideas.

winnie has a harness, she use to wear it only once in a great while when we would visit the public (maybe 2 times in total)

i am just to afraid of her getting caught up in something, even in a harness.

plus i have never had a rabbit enjoy wearing one. and i have tried one many (when i bred rabbits). they just never seemed to adjust well to them.

but that is just my opinion. if you are set on doing it, go for the harness, it is safer then the collar

Lucy wears her harness with a bell regularly and actually quite enjoys it. When the lead isn't connected, she'll take a hope or two, hear the bell, do a bunny 500, then stop, shake a little, heart the bell and start binkying everywhere, her whole body twisting and flipping as she makes a ringing noise.

SunnyCait wrote:
What do you guys think of those collars that automatically unsnap if they are pulled too hard? (ie the critter gets it caught on something?)

I think they are called break aways...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1827
I have a collar like that. It's actually made for rabbits. I bought it because it was on clearance for like 60 cents or something and cute. I never intended to use it though. :p It does come apart very easily though.

SunnyCait wrote:
What do you guys think of those collars that automatically unsnap if they are pulled too hard? (ie the critter gets it caught on something?)

I think they are called break aways...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1827
I have a break-away collar for my cat that is actually quite hard to break apart. It's fine for him, but I'm sure for a rabbit it wouldn't work very well. I'm sure some are out there that can be broken easily, but it's best to try them out a few times before buying them.

What about working on bunny proofing the area they go, so that if you do lose sight of them you know they are safe and don't have to panic about locating them?

Is it okay to use a collar on a rabbit if you are taking him outside for a little "walk"? I have 3 acres and I like to take Midas outside every once and awhile to let him see the outdoors (we have never used sprays) but since my yard is large I usually use a collar and a leash (he doesnt mind it that much) but would it be better to use a harness?

Latest posts

Back