Colin is Home!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilop

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

You may have read my other thread, and now it is final. Colin is home! He arrived last night, and spent the night indoors. He settled in well, although still a little shy and jumpy. He was rather slim [Then again, I do overfeed little fat Cao...] and his nails a wee bit long, but apart from that he was great. I will weight both him and Cao tomorrow after school, once Colin has got used to his new home a bit more. :)

Today we alsonearly finished my massive bunny mansion, with only the final bits and pieces to be done. Hinges, putting the shelter in etc. It [and Colin] are my birthday presents for tomorrow, and I must say, I am smitten. I couldn’t have asked for more! I also learnt I am a terrible builder. :p

Colinis in a smaller hutch at the moment, and we put the side of his hutch and Cao'stogether. Cao was so excited, and spent the whole time by the side that was joined. He waited for Colin, who hid from him in indoor part. It was funny to watch, considering Colin is approximately nearly 3, and Cao is only rising one. They have been side by side all day, and now don't want to leave each other. It is 5:00 in the evening at the moment. They are stillside by the side, no nastiness, no running away, or dominance, no nothing.

Cao's neuter was going to be scheduled for next week, so that they could be together as soon as possible - But I’m starting to think... Does he really need it? :nerves1They will stay in separate cages beside each other for a few more days until they are totally used to each other – and Colin is already neutered. So, now…Question time. Lucky you.

Do I really need Cao to get fixed? Would they, by any chance, be fine as they are? They seem pretty happy, but anything could change when they are actually in the large cage together. How long should I wait until I let them in the same, unfamiliar room together? Do I wait?

Thanks again guys. I really do need to learn to shorten my posts. Oh – and I will try and get some photos of the new bun, and the new cage very soon. :)

Congrats on your new addition! I wait expectantly for pics ;)

It's possible that they could be bonded without neutering but it would be a lot safer to neuter Cacao. Even then it's quite likely they won't get along. Sitting next to each other with a wall separating them is completely different from being in a cage together. I think you should wait until after Cao is neutered before introducing them and take the bonding process slowly. They're guys after all! :p

:goodluck

What agreat birthday present!You must post pictures of the cage and Colin! (I must admit I love looking at other peoples cages - they give me such great ideas!).

I'm a big fan of neutering simply because it just seems to take out the whole hormonal issue, no more worries! - mind you all my buns have been does and they just seemed so much more loopy prior to their spay. Bonding withmy buns previouslyhas been so hard before that all I can advise is to take is REALLY slow and thoroughso they don'treally haveany opportunity to fight.*sigh* if only they all fell in love at first sight!!!

I will get some soon, I promise! :)

Cao's neuter is on for tomorrow. I am terrified. I really don't want to have to do that, because he is such a sweetie. Only,know I have to if I want a chance for them to get along.

I'm so nervous already, but excited at the same time. Gah! :nerves1

I know it's a bit scary but try to relax... I had my girl desexed last week and I was a bit nervous but everything went fine. if you trust the vet then you've got nothing to worry about. It'll be over before you know it and he'll still be sweet :)

It's all over. Yippee! :)

The only thing that is worrying me and the vets, is that he doesn't want to eat anything. No veggies, pellets or treats. He does seem to be drinking enough though. The vets gave us alot of stuff to keep up his fluids, and keep his stomach moving. There are a few things for him to take, aswell as mushy pellet mix that he had a bit of.

Also, he seems very depressed about the head collar. It is onlyso he can't chew his stitches, but he finds this very unfair, and is always sulking in the corner when he is in his cage. I take him out alot, so I can take the collar off and let him clean. When he is out he acts completely normal, hopping around and looking for kisses. He still wont eat though. I hope he finds his appetite soon, as otherwise it will be slurry mix for a while yet.

Thanks Crystal, I am a bit of a worry wort when It comes to my pets. ;)I can't wait until the stitches come out, so the head collar can be history, and I can start the introductions!

it sounds like they do things a bit differently over there... I didn't have the worry of a head collar or pulling out stitches because my vet used glue on the outside, and only stitches on the inside. which is a big relief! I have never heard of having a collar on a rabbit... I wouldn't be letting him out too much because he should be confined so that he can't stretch or do anything that could hurt his healing body. that is what my vet told me anyway.

I could be wrong, but he might not be depressed, but rather just groggy from the anesthetic. if you've ever had an anesthetic yourself, you'll know that it does make you drowsy for a day or two (at least). anesthetic could also cause a reduced appetite I think... so try not to worry too much about this yet.

hopefully he does start eating soon... how long has it been since you got him home? but if he is eating the mushy pellet mix then that is good. I didn't have this problem either because my girl ate within 5 minutes of coming in the door! she loves her food! what I found worked for me, was I put tiny bits of apple into the mushy food. and I fed her off a spoon. I think it makes it smell better to rabbits. you might need to try a few different things if he doesn't like apple or the spoon idea... or the vet might have told you something exact to do, I dont know.

I'm sure he'll be his normal self before too long. try not to worry :)

I'm going to start bonding soon too, we might be sharing tips I think. I'm a bit nervous but excited!

I wish they used glue for Cao. It would be so much easier, and he would be alot happier! This collar is a pain in the butt.

It's weird though, because he is only groggy if he is in the cage. When I bring him out (By that I mean onto my bed, Lap, etc) he is perfectly normal. I think he hates being restricted from running around.

He now has started eating again, which is great. He never ate much before the neuter, and only did eat very late at night or early in the morning - so I’m not too worried about the amount he is eating. That means no more terrible mushy mix, which is half on the roof anyways. It was a wee bit too thick, and so we decided to push the end on the bench, and force it to go. Bad idea! Our roof is a raised, very tall one - and we will need a very long stick or fireman’s ladder to get the hardened brown mix down. Ick.

It’s great you are going to start bonding too, so it will be helpful to share information. I feel the same – I can’t wait!

oh yay glad he is eating again. that is great to hear. I was wondering how he was doing this morning... sounds like he is doing pretty well now if he is eating again.

Um I'm a little confused... how did the mushy mix get on the roof? how did it get from the bench to the roof?

I have just started bonding my 2 last night... the two of them are about a foot apart in separate cages. so far so good.

Yes, he is feeling alot better. :)

The mix got on the roof because it got suck in the nozzle, and mum turned the syringe upside down and pressed the pushy-in part against the bench. The nozzle was facing up, and all the stuff waspushed out and squirted up onto the roof - where it is now stuck. Haha, It makes more sense when you can show someone.

I'm glad it's going well for you so far! Before Cao's neuter my two were in cages side by side and it was great. They really liked each other. After two weeks I can start introducing themagain. :)

ah that makes a bit more sense about the roof thing! I was picturing it being on top of the roof outside... and that didn't make much sense at all haha

oh okay your two already know each other a bit then. my two were pretty much strangers until yesterday evening... I'm hoping it is love at first sight!

My two were only in hutches side by side for about 3 or 4 days, before Cao was moved inside.

Love at first sight would be handy - but Cao is much to proud of himself to love another male. :p

Latest posts

Back