Cold sores may cause illness in rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggys Mom

Reaction score
I found this in a houserabbit article:

One recently recognised hazard that most rabbit owners will not be aware of is that rabbits are highly susceptible to herpes simplex virus or HSV, which causes cold sores in humans. HSV can cause a nasty brain infection (encephalitis) in rabbits, with features such as sudden head tilt and loss of balance that could mimic a dramatic middle ear infection, or E. cuniculi related problems. HSV infection is well studied in laboratory rabbits, but there are now at least two reports in the literature of previously healthy pet rabbits who have developed HSV encephalitis at the same time their owners had cold sores. We don't know yet how significant this risk is, but until more information is available, we would advise rabbit owners with an active cold sore to wash their hands before handling their rabbit and definitely not to kiss the bunny until the cold sore has gone.

Here's the link:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/rabbits_health.htm

yikes Laura, I missed this, thanks so much!

I'll put it in the Resource Center,bump this post up and move it to the Infirmary so it stays up top a while longer.

Thanks again!

sas

Pipp, I just noticed something.

The article says the HSV virus causes encephalitis of the brain and the symptomsmimic E. Cuniculi related problems.It doesn't say it causes E. Cuniculi.

Encephalitis isstill obviously a very seriouscondition and nothing I would want to play with.

I just wanted to clear up the info. My topic title is just a little off. It should have said "head tilt" instead of "E. Cuniculi".

Thanks,

Laura

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Pipp, I just noticed something.

The article says the HSV virus causes encephalitis of the brain and the symptomsmimic E. Cuniculi related problems.It doesn't say it causes E. Cuniculi.

Encephalitis isstill obviously a very seriouscondition and nothing I would want to play with.

I just wanted to clear up the info. My topic title is just a little off. It should have said "head tilt" instead of "E.Cuniculi".

Thanks,

Laura
Actually I noticed that before and meant to change the title. I'm such a sieve. :rollseyes

It still gives teh right idea. Thanks for posting it.

sas

Thanks, Laura!

A quick note- the same virus can also cause small blisters on any other part of the body and may appear similar to shingles. How do I know this? I've had shingles, and was tested to make sure it wasn't herpes. :rollseyes Boy am I glad it was shingles! Darn chicken pox.

I wonder if the head tilt is related to Herpes simplex encephalitis? It's a bit down this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_simplex

I had something similar to shingles which made me very ill..it was called CMV neuritis. Ebv, (mononucleosis), CMV (cytomegalovirus), shingles, Herspes simplex 1 and 2 are all in the herpes virus family..wonder if all of them are transmissiblein some other form in bunnies? Most humans have at least one of them latent in their body.

Latest posts

Back