Cod Liver Oil Good for Bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trini1000

Reaction score
:wave: Hello again all! I've heard that Cod Liver oil in small doses provide both young and old rabbits with needed vitamins and promotes all around good health.

Now, I've never tried it and I'd like to know if anyone has experience or research on the matter; thanks in advance!:biggrin:

I'd use olive oil, if I were going to give an oil, though I'd prefer to give sunflower seeds or walnuts instead. Cod is a fish & rabbits aren't equipped to digest food made from animals.

I'd prefer to stay away from oils all together. Bunnies evolved eating a diet of mainly grasses. They can't handle food that has a high concentration of oil in it. A good pellet should provide all the nutrients needed by a bunny, and a variety of hays and greens can also help. Some rabbit breeders will give black oil sunflower seeds to fatten up bunnies and give them a shiny coat, and that could be a more diet-appropriate way to get extra nutrients in if you think they are needed.

Yes, just occasional seeds or nuts would be better than a lot. Some wild rabbits eat more oily things than other rabbits, as Rabbit Nutrition by Dr Moore points out, but it's not ideal; it's just what's in their environment.

Latest posts

Back