Coco chewed my charger... Parents aren't happy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CayrisAndCoco

Reaction score
So I turned my back on my rabbit Coco for 2 seconds and a part of my phone charger (not plugged in) was exposed. She got to it... Its in pieces... The phone charger was a gift for getting honour roll with distinction 2 terms in a row. My mom had given it to me this morning. I showed my mom and she was not pleased. She got really mad and said that I could not get another one. Help.

I don't know how often that happened to me, repairing it isn't that difficult as long as there is some lenght of wire left on each side. You'll need a soldering iron, solder, small heat shrink tubing (or electrical tape), and hot glue is also helpful.
Or you know someone who has that and a little practice with electric stuff.

So I turned my back on my rabbit Coco for 2 seconds and a part of my phone charger (not plugged in) was exposed. She got to it... Its in pieces... The phone charger was a gift for getting honour roll with distinction 2 terms in a row. My mom had given it to me this morning. I showed my mom and she was not pleased. She got really mad and said that I could not get another one. Help.
I've actually had this situation. When I got my first bun and didn't know too much. I didn't even know rabbits chewed things 🤦‍♀️. Anyway, she had unsupervised free roam for a few days. Then, the air hockey table, Samsung surround sound, wii, phone, and electric piano, wouldn't work.....i wonder why.........😂. She had chewed all those. My parents were so mad. I just had to replace them, making her my most expensive pet. 😁 A few, like the wii and phone booth, i was able to repair by stripping the wire, and then connecting the right wires. Maybe just try to explain to your parents, then buy it with your money. What parents don't like, is when someone (like me with my bun chewing cords.) asks them to replace things that were ruined out of carelessness or by accident. It seems as though bunnies always go for the cords the moment they are let loose. At least to my parents, it shows you are responsible and you are going to try to make up for what happened.

I've actually had this situation. When I got my first bun and didn't know too much. I didn't even know rabbits chewed things 🤦‍♀️. Anyway, she had unsupervised free roam for a few days. Then, the air hockey table, Samsung surround sound, wii, phone, and electric piano, wouldn't work.....i wonder why.........😂. She had chewed all those. My parents were so mad. I just had to replace them, making her my most expensive pet. 😁 A few, like the wii and phone booth, i was able to repair by stripping the wire, and then connecting the right wires. Maybe just try to explain to your parents, then buy it with your money. What parents don't like, is when someone (like me with my bun chewing cords.) asks them to replace things that were ruined out of carelessness or by accident. It seems as though bunnies always go for the cords the moment they are let loose. At least to my parents, it shows you are responsible and you are going to try to make up for what happened.
Wow, thats some expensive stuff! Im lucky it was only my phone charger! I told her I would buy my own chargers from now on and if she wrecked another one, It would be all my responsibility.

I don't know how often that happened to me, repairing it isn't that difficult as long as there is some lenght of wire left on each side. You'll need a soldering iron, solder, small heat shrink tubing (or electrical tape), and hot glue is also helpful.
Or you know someone who has that and a little practice with electric stuff.
I tried fitting the pieces of wire back together, but the cord is in 8 tiny pieces. I dont even know how that happens! We have nothing that repairs cords and I'd rather just buy a new one than go through the trouble to find somone who can do it themselves. Thanks for the advice though! I appreciate it!

Myself had many charger chewed through and bought new ones. The chord to lamps and computer charger I let my dad fix before my mom find out 🤣

I’m too lazy learning how to fix and also do the fixing. My dad have showed me many times how to fix wires and where everything is in the house.

It’s like I bought a new charger because my old one was barely holding, the same day I bought my charger, my bunny Toste had a go and enjoyed chewing his spicy hay. So I hide my chargers better, don’t know how he got up onto the bookshelf 🙄

I buy super cheap, gas station chargers for this reason and wrap them in tubing. Still end up needing a new one every 6 months to a year when one of the fireballs figures out how to cheat the system! Little chaos beasts!

Get a electronic outlet strip where you can ductape the cord up the wall and the actual outlet you can put on table. Kitchens have outlets that are counter level, charge there.

Have you since been googling and researching on how to prevent Coco from chewing wires, cords, precious valuables? This was one of the 1st things we told potential adopters at the shelter. Rabbits need to chew as their incisors continually grow.

Hope the linked articles will help your parents understand that bunnies need to chew and they will find cords attractive. Hope your bun is never electrocuted as I've heard of that happening.

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/
Our lab/retriever demolished several material items and expensive items in our home until we read up and educated ourselves on behavior, or the need to chew. And our daughter and SIL don't dare leave food on the table for a holiday gathering b/c their cat will leap to the surface and start licking/chewing whatever the humans didn't put on their plates yet. Gross.

Bunnies like to chew and bunny-proofing is important! -- RABBIT CARE — Minnesota Companion Rabbit Society

https://rabbit.org/faq-rabbit-proofing/
Bunny Proofing : Tips to keep your valuables and your bunny safe!!

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bunny-proofing.html

Have you since been googling and researching on how to prevent Coco from chewing wires, cords, precious valuables? This was one of the 1st things we told potential adopters at the shelter. Rabbits need to chew as their incisors continually grow.

Hope the linked articles will help your parents understand that bunnies need to chew and they will find cords attractive. Hope your bun is never electrocuted as I've heard of that happening.

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/
Our lab/retriever demolished several material items and expensive items in our home until we read up and educated ourselves on behavior, or the need to chew. And our daughter and SIL don't dare leave food on the table for a holiday gathering b/c their cat will leap to the surface and start licking/chewing whatever the humans didn't put on their plates yet. Gross.

Bunnies like to chew and bunny-proofing is important! -- RABBIT CARE — Minnesota Companion Rabbit Society

https://rabbit.org/faq-rabbit-proofing/
Bunny Proofing : Tips to keep your valuables and your bunny safe!!

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bunny-proofing.html

Thanks for the tips! I have spent like a year researching and I try my best to bunny proof EVERYTHING! I have special aluminium tape that I tape around my TV cords and stuff. The charger was my mistake. It was hanging out of the bin I keep all my unused cords in and Coco got to it. I talked to my mom and she said just never let it happen again. I also made sure to get Coco some extra chew toys for her ever-growing teethies. Also I've watched like every single video of LennonTheBunny on youtube and she actually inspired me to free roam Coco! She has a great video on bunny proofing that I've watched like 5 times!

You're a super caring bun mom to spend time watching Lennon's videos. There is a ton of good info re: bun proofing. Half the people surrendering their pets to the shelter were unaware that rabbits like to find cords and rabbits chew things! Eeeek! Let your Mom know she has patience and is an understanding parent/ er, grandparent/ to Coco, too.

Ever-growing teethies, description made me smile.

Our boy upstairs is free-roaming thru several rooms right now, I constantly listen in case he tackles carpet or the woodwork. And he'll do that! But he's precious and talks, whimpers, grunts, periscopes in the cutest ways.

Hugs,

Aww thank you! I always create some weird nick name for stuff. I sometimes also call teeth "toofers". I know, its weird.

Latest posts

Back