Cockatiel Egg and Chick Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Izzy has regained 2 grams and was 33 this morning. This is so nerve wracking. I need my baby girl to get healthy and grow big and strong and live with me for the next 20 years. If only there was a way to get her digestive system working faster. What is it with me and pets I love that get terrible illnesses? Little Bird, a cockatiel I used to have who was very sick his whole life (he was an amazing bird), Tallulah, my sweet baby girl bunny who died from digestive problems at 7 months, Skyler my darling boy bunny who died from e. Cuniculi, and little Izzy with her digestive problems. It seems like the pets I fall for the hardest are the ones who have bad things happen to them.

Bird update! Izzy's almost 12 weeks old and is 33 grams. She defies all logic and explanation. Still handfeeding her all the time because she doesn't eat on her own. She's a sweet little baby girl. Phoenix is our little buddy and such a joy :D

Izzy's not improved, unfortunately- she actually weighs less now than she did a few weeks ago. She's just stayed the same, really. She is alive though! We're going to buy her a cage tomorrow and get her out of the brooder, I've been lowering the temperature in the brooder for the past week and a half so she's accustomed to room temperature now.

Phoenix is great :) His nicknames are Poofy and Beaker (Beaker because he makes this meeping sound like Beaker the Muppet). He's going to be a bat for Halloween :D He loves to have his head scratched and goes up to his favorite toy in his cage with his head down so it will scratch him. It's very funny and a tiny bit sad because of course the toy never obliges!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Phoenix is great :) His nicknames are Poofy and Beaker (Beaker because he makes this meeping sound like Beaker the Muppet).
Oh, geez! I just fell in love all over again! :p Beaker is my favorite Muppet, and a little baby birdy (well, not so baby-ish anymore) making that noise would just be too cute too handle!

I think my Izzy is fading :( She's 12 1/2 weeks old and has been very sick for 11 of those weeks. This morning she wasn't as active as usual when I fed her and was even clumsier than normal, and when I fed her this afternoon she had some thickened formula in her crop (which means her crop drained the liquid out of the formula). Once I got that taken care of, she "threw up" when I was feeding her. I always feel her crop when I feed her and the light amount of pressure on her crop made it all come up. I think that her crop muscles are weak so not churning the formula properly and not holding down the formula when I touch her crop. I'm not taking her to the vet because I don't think there's anything that can be done for her. I'm hopeful that she's just having an off day and will perk up. She's getting lots of rest and I've increased the temperature in the brooder. We were about to move her into the big bird cage we bought on Sunday but I'm going to wait.

My baby girl died in my hands a few minutes ago :bawl: I peeked in on her in the brooder to find her lying on her stomach and gasping. I picked her up, gave her some kisses (I always gave her a kiss after feeding her before I put her back in the brooder), and petted her until she died. She died about a minute and a half after I picked her up. As you can imagine, this is a very sad time for me because she was 13 weeks old today and I raised her by hand since she was 10 days old. I was never certain that she'd survive, but I loved her very much anyway- how could I not?

Oh Shiloh, I'm so sorry.

:bigtears:

I was trying not to let myself hope in light of her size and all the challenges, but I was hoping so hard.

You did a great job allowing her to have these 13 weeks.

sas :sad:

It's so strange not having Izzy here. I know she's gone, but keep doing things like she's here. For instance, the baby bird care station (and the brooder) are on a card table in the kitchen and I don't usually turn on the main light so she can rest. I walked into the kitchen and didn't turn on the light because I didn't want to wake her up. This is the first time (other than a break of a day and a half between when Phoenix weaned and when I took the new babies) since the end of June that I haven't had a baby bird to hand feed multiple times a day. It's funny how a task that seemed really complicated at first became second nature. I added it up and I've fed baby birds about 800 times now.

Early this evening we went to a craft fair at the university. We had already planned to go and today was the last day, and I wanted to find something for Izzy. I bought a little Christmas tree ornament of an Alaskan angel holding a heart and the lady wrote "Izzy" on the heart. All my pets have their own personalized ornaments and this one seemed very fitting for her. I also bought a hand carved and painted small wooden box with a chickadee on it that I'm going to put her ashes in once she's cremated. It's very sweet and I'm glad I found these two things at craft fair. I'll post pictures later.

I have so many things going through my head about her and will type more later.

Do you guys think I should make a Rainbow Bridge announcement for her?

Latest posts

Back