Coccidiosis in rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilingbunnies

Reaction score
I've been told that rabbits can get coccidiosis from "bad stuff on the ground." I've never heard of it so was wondering whether perhaps we don't get the parasite in the UK? However, if we do how is it caught and how can I try and avoid it?

Thank you :)

I'm not sure if it's in the UK but I'm fairly sure if can be on the ground anywhere wild rabbits have been. We've gotten plenty of stray rabbits that are infected with it.

Thank you that helps, I've never heard of them so perhaps the climate is quite right for them here? I'm not too worried since wild rabbits don't live in our part of the town :)

Cocci is a really common parasite and it seems like a lot of farm folk who keep other livestock besides rabbits are routinely treating for it. I think its super common for chickens and goats to get it and if you go to any farm store you always see Cocci medications lining the shelves. Also, read that wild birds can have it and poo on grass and rabbits can pick it up from that. But, I think if you do not live near any farm animals, your rabbits are probably pretty safe though. I live in New Zealand, no predators, so I let my rabbits graze in my backyard and they have never gotten cocci (knock on wood).

Thank you this really helps, we let them free run the garden too since we have no predators and they have been fine for six years. Don't live near farm animals so I'm not worried, we do have horses but they don't get it. They're indoor buns so don't have contact with wild animals. Thank you once again :)

Latest posts

Back