Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floyd2019

Reaction score
Ok so still waiting on results from the fecal test i sent in for my bun a couple days ago. Not sure how long it'll be.
I have been researching since then and have my suspicions about coccidia... i am going to post pics. His poop goes like this soft mush a lot and the last time it randomly turned into diarrhea whoch i don't want to happen again. Is this a sign of coccidia?
He has struggled with intestinal issues and poo since about 3 weeks after i brought him home at 8 weeks old. (He is now 11 months) I had just taken him for a check up and been told he was in perfect health. Even now he is still in perfect health but for his poo.

When he first started having issues i was suspicious about megacolon because he had long and giant cecotropes that came out like logs. He hasn't had that ever since his previous vet gave him antibiotics amd probiotics. He was healthy for 4 months until this recent startup which has mostly been diarrhea and soft fecal pellets and seems like a different issue...

Where would he have gotten coccidia from? He is my only pet, hasn't been aroubd other pets since his litter mates and mom which was almost a year ago.
I will attach pics of his poo from today! Thanks guys!

PS just turned my head and caught him eating from his bum what i would assume to be cecotropes! So his cecos seem fine! This is a fecal issue!

Attachments

• 20190813_193541.jpg
    20190813_193541.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190814_182819.jpg
    20190814_182819.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190814_182827.jpg
    20190814_182827.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 11
Coccidia can be contagious, but it can also be the result of poor hygiene. You can search the internet on what you need to do to prevent it again. I can’t help with megacolon though.

Coccidia can be contagious, but it can also be the result of poor hygiene. You can search the internet on what you need to do to prevent it again. I can’t help with megacolon though.
I do keep his pen really clean and tidy though... could it be from stress?

Rabbits can normally carry small amounts of coccidia that don't cause disease. Some sort of stressor that weakens their immune system might cause the coccidia to take hold and become symptomatic. If he has had a blood test showing normal liver and kidney function, then I would think the easiest way to rule out coccidia would be to treat for it and see if there is any improvement. I would use baycox(toltrazuril) or ponazuril, as they are the most effective. Though keep an eye on eating during treatment as it can cause lack of appetite sometimes, especially if given too high of a dose.

Rabbits can normally carry small amounts of coccidia that don't cause disease. Some sort of stressor that weakens their immune system might cause the coccidia to take hold and become symptomatic. If he has had a blood test showing normal liver and kidney function, then I would think the easiest way to rule out coccidia would be to treat for it and see if there is any improvement. I would use baycox(toltrazuril) or ponazuril, as they are the most effective. Though keep an eye on eating during treatment as it can cause lack of appetite sometimes, especially if given too high of a dose.
He hasn't ever had blood work done or anything (we don't have any rabbit savvy vets here only rabbit "knowledgeable" vets) but he has always been very healthy so we assumed diet for the longest time. Diet does clear things up but it's never permanent. That's why i asked for a fecal test just to rule out things like coccidia or anything else. I truly believe his liver and kidneys are working, he's an active boy

Latest posts

Back