Clover is in bunny heaven.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is still acting completely normal and I just witnessed him eat an inch of banana and some pellets! I think he was just trying to give me a heart attack! Thank you so much @JBun for that info! I am diving into researching different chicken/rabbit diseases right now. He seems to be all good now and isn't showing signs of any pain so I think he's fine but I am now very aware and nervous of this disease. Thankyou again. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to answer a nervous bun parents questions.

We found my mini lop Clover this evening dead by the gate to her run. She was only 2 going on 3 years old and I thought a very healthy bun. I have no idea how she went or what was wrong with her. I feel really bad because I have been spending a lot of time with my Flemish Giant who is in a seperate area and haven't been paying as much attention to my mini lops as I normally do so I don't know if I have missed something or what?
She had been acting normal yesterday and when I gave them an apple stick (100% untreated and from our yard) they munched it up and were completely normal. They live outside and today was a wet and rainy day. I'm pretty sure their diet hasn't changed or anything and they have a constant supply of hay and water. She must have died in the morning after I fed them their breakfast because she was stiff when I found her this evening. She looked like she had died in a loafing position and either flattened down a bit or died with her body slightly stretched so her tummy was touching the ground. She lived with her bondmate/brother Fern and they didn't use the litter tray and pooped everywhere so it's hard to know whose poos are whose and moniter it but as far as I could see there was no diarrhoea. When we checked her body over there was no injuries, no blood, nothing in her mouth, and no lumps or bumps. I am hoping beyond hope that it is not calicivirus because I have Fern and my Flemish as well. Does anyone know what could cause her sudden death? GI Status? Heart attack? I haven't been monitoring their food intake but last night when I gave them dinner they seemed to eat it well. Both my other bunnies are very healthy it seems.
Also what should I do about her brother? He doesn't really like people and loved his sister to bits so I am worried he will get depressed because he doesn't enjoy my company. His sister also didn't like me that much either. What I loved about them was they liked each other's company but now that Clovers gone I'm worried about Fern. I of course have my Flemish Giant Alice who is a single bun. Should I attempt bonding them? Alice is not spayed but Fern is neutered. I think they have good personalities for each other but I'm not too sure what to do. I just feel like Fern will get lonely. I don't want to do anything yet until I know for sure that it wasn't a virus that killed Clover.
Sorry for the long post. I just feel so bad that I didn't know what was wrong with her and didn't pay attention. It seems that she died peacefully but I will never know for sure. I'm gonna keep a super close eye on Fern and make sure he is fine.
I am so sorry for your loss Lizzy. Sending hugs 😢😭

Latest posts

Back