Cloudy Spot in wee mans eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathryn Yarnton

Reaction score
Ommy is 11 weeks old, today I realized he has a cloudy spot in his eye. I tried looking more closely at it it seemed to reflect light like a blind persons eye tends to. I am worried its a cataract or EC. I can not afford the treatment for either of these conditions!
What do I do?...
Watch it and see if it gets worse?
Take him to the vet and cry when they give me the bill?
Or just leave it and pray it goes away?
I love my wee man, I don't want him to be in pain.

Could you take a picture? I noticed a similar thing in my bunny's eye. He's four and a half months old. I have no idea what it is!

I agree, a picture would help us a little bit.
Only way to be sure though is to take him to a vet so they can look properly with an ophthalmoscope. It could be nothing, it could be something dangerous, I personally wouldn’t want to risk it. Even if you can’t afford to treat it, it could end up being something painful - you need to do something because you can’t leave him suffering.

Felt so bad taking this photo.
Unsure if this helps anyone, it looks a LOT worse as flash is on, but it does have a film across the whole eye with a spot of white. His eye is leaky and he's having trouble keeping it open

Attachments

• 33714515_1678390682282169_4389638854924042240_n.jpg
    33714515_1678390682282169_4389638854924042240_n.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 10
Feel like it could just be conjunctivitis from the fact that he doesnt have a full cage yet and is currently living in an old cat cage where i couldnt clean all the dust and litter out.
If thats the case he should be fine, but I will drop by the vets tomorrow.

There's a good chance he has a corneal ulcer from scratching his eye. It's then become infected/inflamed, which is the white clouding, irritation, and tearing that you are seeing. With conjunctivitis you wouldn't have the white clouding of the eye. So yeah, you'll want to get him seen by a rabbit savvy vet asap, as you'll need to get him started on antibiotic eye drops and possibly pain meds(meloxicam).
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Ulcer/Ulc_en.htm

In case you don't already have a rabbit vet picked out.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I agree with @JBun if there’s tearing and a focal spot surrounded by cloudy inflammation it could easily be a corneal ulcer which needs seeing by a vet asap - if ulcers progress it can lead to the eye actually perforating completely.

Latest posts

Back