Close

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
babbitlover wrote:
how does a box do anything when there deep inside thebedding, covered on all sides except the top, but thats only afternursing, than alittle after till she buries it again

As stated before, if protects them from a draft. Please, Iadvise you to do what people have previously stated. Don't be afriad totouch the kits! As a matter of fact you NEED to touch the kits on adaily basis to make sure they are being fed properly.
"If you touch the baby bunnies the mom won't take care of them" is justa myth! Like Lanna, I've had many litters born in my barn and I handlethem from the time their mother has them cleaned. I've never had aproblem with a doe being 'over protected' of her babies. Now, I'm notsaying that does aren't overprotected as there are some who are veryover protected.

For the safety of the doe and the kits, I advise finding some kind ofbox to put in the cage with the doe. After that you can make a nestboxfor better protection. If you can't make a nestbox, normally farmstores have metal nestboxes, ex: Tractor Supply and Company.

Check out this site for nestbox making...
http://tranquilacresrabbitry.com/info_breeding/nestbox.asp

Amanda
Breeder of Dwarf Hotots ;)

babbitlover wrote:
the nest is about 6 inches deep, they havent gotten out evenwhen the nest was flat on the ground, and now she made it into aperfect nest tunnel, we have 3!!! there cuddling togethor, and mommasbeing protective, and she nursed them YEA
I thought you said in the other post that one kit had already wandered? I am glad they all seem healthy.

Fergi's mom

the mom was facing the nest when the first wasborn, than momma turned around to lick the kit, so her but was facingaway from the nest. than i saw the 2nd being born, she licked it, andhopped away, leaving the baby away from the nest, we put it back in,and it seems fine, the rest are staying in

Latest posts

Back