Clogged with hair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakui

Reaction score
Couple of times now our velveteen Rex has filled himself up with hair totally when moulting, to point of big vet bills and hospital stays. We're trying to get his loose hair off sooner,(he hates us doing it), feed him lots of hay and plain pellets. He eats greens too, carrot and apple. Rexs have a huge amount of soft hair, without the tougher guard hairs; don't know if that makes it worse.
Any other ideas?

i don't have experience, but other members have mentioned something called a furminator. Hopefully some one else will provide more information.

i don't have experience, but other members have mentioned something called a furminator. Hopefully some one else will provide more information.

Oh yes! I looove the furminator brush! Gets hair off of a bunny like nobody's business. They are pricey but worth it. :biggrin2:

Maybe this link is appropriate for you? At least you can see the product.
http://www.petshoponline.co.nz/search/FURminator

Last edited:
You can get the furminator cheaper on amazon. I also use laxatone during her molts and it has seemed to help her poop pass during shedding times. You can get it at petco in the cat section. My bunny loves it! I actually give it to her once a week during non shed to keep things moving. She eats it straight from the bottle.

If your bun has thicker hair, definitely get the medium dog size furminator, I bought the small one and my two hate it but the big one works like a charm!

My boy HATES being brushed...unless it is with the Zoom Groom. I guess all the metal brushes don't feel so nice, but he will sit and tooth purr for the rubbery bristles. Takes a little longer, but he enjoys it, and sits as long as need be. It also generates a little static, so the hair sticks to it.

As for your bunny ingesting it, I really don't have a clue! I used to give my previous bunny (many years ago) some sort of molassas/tar like consistency thing sold at the pet stores, meant for helping them pass hairs. Not sure what it was called, but she loved it!

Latest posts

Back