Clipping squirmy bunny nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my favorite video on how to trim nails. You may think that "oh, the bunny in the video is so laid back, of course it works," but don't brush it off too quickly. I have had impossible rabbits to trim and this method really did work. The key is to follow precisely the method described -- every aspect. Use a table, do the "press, press," do that shakey thing for the back paws. I watched it multiple times before starting to be sure I had it all down. It Will work.

I've been trying to find answers for this but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone have tips on how to clip bunny nails when they're squirmy without trancing them?
I have a bunny who HATED getting her nails trimmed. It was so bad that she would try and nip me. Having a second person really helps. I would hold my bunny while my mom trimmed her nails. My bun is somewhat used to it now and I can now do it by myself. I noticed holding your bunny close to your chest really helps and taking breaks. I would try and get most of her nails but if she started to get irritated I would set her down and let her run around for a few minutes and even give her a little snack. After you do it often your bun should get used to it, and always reward your bun afterward they'll associate getting their nails trimmed with a treat. This youtube video is really helpful!

The two best things you can do are:

Have a second person so one can hold the bunny up with one hand under their bottom so you can see the nails and quick.
Take a cut of a shower loofa and wrap/pull it over their paw to where the nails stick through. This holds the fur back and allows you to see the whole nail and keeps all the fur out of the way!

If you still find it impossible, which don't worry, some do, you can take them to a groomer and they usually only charge 6-12 dollars. Regular brandname pet stores won't do it so call elsewhere. Shops that sells birds do it for cheep and are very experienced in nail clipping.

The two best things you can do are:

Have a second person so one can hold the bunny up with one hand under their bottom so you can see the nails and quick.
Take a cut of a shower loofa and wrap/pull it over their paw to where the nails stick through. This holds the fur back and allows you to see the whole nail and keeps all the fur out of the way!

If you still find it impossible, which don't worry, some do, you can take them to a groomer and they usually only charge 6-12 dollars. Regular brandname pet stores won't do it so call elsewhere. Shops that sells birds do it for cheep and are very experienced in nail clipping.
Our vet clips the nails for $25-$30 but they need to do a check up before clipping the nails which costs $50-$65

Yeah don't get them clipped at the vet, that can be very expensive, but other pet shops/groomers do it just as well for cheep. Just gotta call places and ask if they clip rabbit's nails.

Sounds like you have all the ideas/ techniques known to mankind. Every rabbit is different and what works for one won’t necessarily work for another. None of them worked for my bratty bun. That was my fault though, for not teaching her early.
Most people recommend the bunny burrito technique but I found that tough to do alone.
There was a woman who showed a great technique and although it didn’t work for me, I’ll see if I can find it. Maybe it will work for you.

This woman shows how to cut the nails with no help and she shows the technique on a rabbit she never handled before. She invented this technique while working at a rescue. It looks amazing.

And don’t forget to give a special treat afterwards. I’d suggest a teaspoon of black ( unsalted!!) sunflower seeds. A special treat that can only be had by having her nails trimmed may inspire your rabbit to cooperate.

She makes it look so easy. One thing I did learn from my mistakes is not to let your rabbit escape. Just keep gripping her until she’s calm and try again. I think that was my second biggest mistake. I let Harvey squirm away and once she learned I’d allow that she did it every time.
Let me know if this lady’s technique worked for you ok? Take your time. Remember the treats and good luck.

Latest posts

Back