Clipping claws

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorri

Reaction score
Hi guys I need your help on this one please.

I'm very knowledgable where it comes to rabbit claws. The question I would like to ask. Is! is there any info on here about how far can you clip rabbits claws. Also can you ordinay nail clippers to clip claws?

I had notice that Peppers claws are getting long.:(

Thanks guys:)

First, can I complain? I hate the term claws, they're nails.:p You can clip them a bit, but know where the quick is. I just trim my buns nails. Trimming is good.:D That way you stay away from the quick as well.:D

If you do happen to hit the quick, use flour to stop any bleeding. You can use this on dogs, cats, etc.

lorri wrote:
Hi Crys I will rephrase from claws to nails. Why use flour? if the bleeding happens.

Thanks for the info.

I can't remember the exact term but the flour stops the bleeding kinda like quick stop although corn starch does better then flour.

If your rabbit has light brown/clear nails, then you will be able to see where to pink colored quick ends, so you cut just below that so you don't cut the quick.

If you rabbit has black nails, then you just need to start small - cut little by little until you see the black circle (thats the quick) in the nail. The nail's cut edge will also get darker the closer you get to the quick and the farther you are from the quick it will appear to be more dry looking.

After you cut the first nail as close to the quick as you think it is, then all the other nails should be the same...so you can use your first cut nail as a judge to where you should cut the other nails.

Another tip to is buy a small flashlight and flash it up under the nail, you will be able to see the quick better that way. If you happen to cut the quick (which does happen) I'd use corn starch or buy some quik stop powder.

:)

Latest posts

Back