Clipped back nail too short

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggys Mom

Reaction score
Last night I clipped Shadow's nails. He's very easy, just lays on his back and lets me do whatever.

I put him back in the cage, look down at my shirt and there is what appears to be A LOT of blood on my shirt. I freaked.

I run to the cage and he is licking his back foot. There were a couple of blood smudges on the cage floor, but the bleeding had stopped.

I felt SOOOOOO bad. That has never happened to me before and I've been clipping their nails for years now.

I hope he forgives me.

I did that the first time I clipped Chompers' nails. I've clipped dogs' nails for years but I had never trimmed a bunnies so I got a little too trim happy and cut one of the back ones just a tad too short. He didn't even flinch and I just put some quick stop on it to stop the bleeding. He still lets me cut his nails just fine and thankfully, doesn't seem to even remember it ever happening. I don't think you have much to worry about :)

He seems fine. He was licking it last night and Penny was fussing over him. He was still able to beg for treats, so I guess he's okay!

I just couldn't believe it happened. I'm really careful with him because when he came back to me in July (after being "adopted" for seven months), his nails were super long. Because of that, I've been trimming them really slowly.I'd heard that when they're that long, the "quick" grows out, too and you have to wait for it to recede. I never take very much at one time.

You can get something called "Blood Stop" from the pet store and keep it on hand "just-in-case". It's a styptic powder that you press into the end of the bleeding nail and it stops the bleeding right away. It's tough when the nails are dark and you can't see the vein. Sounds like he got over it pretty quick.:biggrin2:

I haven't attemped to cut Thumper's or Peaches nails yet but I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck when I do.:shock:

We tend to worry so much and it seems that Shadow has already forgotten. :biggrin2:I'm sure he is loving Penny fussing over him.

BlueGiants wrote:
You can get something called "Blood Stop" from the pet store and keep it on hand "just-in-case". It's a styptic powder that you press into the end of the bleeding nail and it stops the bleeding right away. It's tough when the nails are dark and you can't see the vein. Sounds like he got over it pretty quick.:biggrin2:
I ran to get flour (I've heard it works in a pinch), but by the time I got back, it was stopped.

I think the raisins I gave him helped him to forgive and forget!

Poor Shadow! Last time I clipped nails, I snipped one nail on each bunny too short and made them bleed. They probably went back to the pen and complained about their incompetant mother.

I was going to ask about flour...I'd heard of using it, too.

Glad to hear he's doing okay...raisins ALWAYS do the trick! :D

Snuggys Mom wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
I ran to get flour (I've heard it works in a pinch), but by the time I got back, it was stopped.

I think the raisins I gave him helped him to forgive and forget!

I've also seen someone use a bar of Ivory Soap, dragged across the nail to help coagulate the blood. It did work!

But I'm glad he forgave you. Bribery works every time! :D

From what I heard when it comes to flour, you should add a bit of water and make a paste. It will stop the bleeding faster and hold on to the nail better..I've never tried it personally so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

Latest posts

Back