Clingy Bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliviaraetz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a male Netherland dwarf who's just over a year old. I got him when I was really struggling with a brain injury, and he has been the absolute best little friend ever since. But, he is severely attached to me. I live alone when I am at school, so it's just me and him. I do live at home during breaks and we go home often, but he really isn't fond of my family or anyone else that has spent a significant amount of time with him. I give him lots of attention throughout the day, but it has kind of gotten to the point where he just won't leave me alone. If my mom tries to play with him, he dramatically runs over to me and plants himself in my lap. He has started to recognize the FaceTime sound, and gets super agitated if I am on the phone talking to someone for some reason. He has toys, he gets well over 5-6 hours of attention a day, he's well fed, and he has my entire apartment to roam about. But if I sit at my desk to do work, I can't even leave my feet on the floor without him trying to climb up them, sitting on them, or running around them while I am trying to focus. I tried to take an online exam while sitting in my bed once, and he kept jumping on my laptop until I had to put him in his cage! He isn't really the destructive type and has no interest in any paper, unless of course it is my school books and notes (the evil things that take away from his constant attention). He is an absolute angel other than the clinginess, and very good about listening when I raise my voice a bit to say no to discourage behavior, but he has just gotten extremely entitled to having my attention all of the time and throws a fit when he doesn't get it. Help!!! I want to moderate this behavior now, since I start my masters degree next year and it's kind of a necessity for him to learn that his mom cannot attend to him at all hours.

Firstly, he sounds absolutely adorable 🥰

Is he neutered? One of my fosters became very clingy, but not to quite the same extent. Once he was neutered, he calmed down a lot.

Would it be an option to bond him with another bun as a companion for him?

Rabbits form close bonds of companionship, and it sounds like he's definitely bonded very closely to you. The best solution that I can see that will still provide him with the constant companionship that he needs and give you a break, would be to find him a fixed bunny friend to bond with him. Best way to do this is through a shelter/rescue that has already fixed rabbits that allows 'dates' so your bun can pick out a bun friend that has the best chance of him having a successful bond with. If he's not neutered yet, then that would be your first step before starting the search for a compatible companion.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back