Cleaning urine off of fur...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellamy+Lilah

Reaction score
Does anybody have some go-to ways to easily and quickly wipe away or treat pee stains off of their bunnies' fur?

I know that after a while or a couple of days they usually have it cleaned off by themselves and it's okay but I would just like to keep my buns clean and hygienic as much as possible. Thanks! [emoji195]Screenshot_20180912-090554_Video%20Player.jpeg

Foot bath....I give my baby buns foot baths and regular baths if needed - doesn't stay clean since they are still learning to potty in the right spot and there are so many peeing in the 2 potties that are located in their xpen...but it helps. Yo can try baby wipes too...but some of mine - I hate to admit - with the white spots are partially yellow now :(

Full baths are not recommended for rabbits -- both the House Rabbit Society in the US and the RWAL in the UK warn against bathing rabbits.

Just wetting their feet is fine. If you must wipe it off, a damp cloth is ok. But I don't see why a rabbit is getting pee stains -- unless their floor is allowed to remain dirty or they are intact and one is spraying the other. Is it just their paws? Are they getting pee elsewhere?

Yes, I am aware that it is not recommended and why it is not recommended.

I don't do it often, but I have rabbits that spray, a special needs rabbit who can't do the best job, and babies that try to clean themselves but spray is spray and sometimes they need a bath. Rabbits are clean but with my allergies to hay and grass and my rabbits that want to spray I have to periodically bathe them - it's not an option with as many as I have and all indoors. With the babies potty training and I work, they would pee on the flooring of the cage and it would get on their feet, and it doesn't take long for the white hair to "stain" yellowish...it happens.

I make sure the water is warm so not to decrease their body temp too much. I have towels in the dryer so right after they get their "first dry" with a towel they have a warm towel to finish them off. I usually do this 3 times a year...a bath, just to keep them clean, make sure they don't have fleas, etc. Rabbits are clean but with my allergies to hay and grass and my rabbits that want to spray I have to periodically bathe them - it's not an option with as many as I have and all indoors. But, if you have ever bathed a rabbit, it is hard to get them completely wet due to their fur so it is more "topical" than full bodied bath. But I am very careful and have spoken to my vet about this...I also have a special needs bunny who I have to bathe periodically to make sure he is clean as well.

But I did not suggest anyone to bathe their rabbit either...I said foot bath or baby wipes...I am not sure of anything else out there. And unless you are sure, and don't need to ask, you should not bathe your rabbit...I made sure I looked up information and read and researched, talked with my vet, etc. and it is a recommendation; but there are people who bathe their rabbits. I suggest you not, unless you know what you are doing or there is cause...it could kill your rabbit if you do not know what you are doing.

Yeah the reason I was asking for easy go-to ways to treat pee stains in fur is because i know you don't give them a full bath. I have used the baby wipes but they haven't really worked.

I will be trying foot baths and maybe use a slightly damp rag for now. I have 4 males and they are in the process of being fixed one by one right now and she gets peed on every day one way or another. The boys also pee on each other through a dividing fence in their playpens as well.

Latest posts

Back