Cleaning Scent Glands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've only recently heard about people cleaning their bun's scent glands, is this something I should be doing? If so how would I do it 😂 Bambi is a very sassy bun and doesn't like being held whilst groomed or having her nails clipped.

Not all bunnies need help to clean the scent glands. Myself only clean the scent glands on my bunny Odin because he never cleans them which in the end make him stink.

I use a small q-tip and dip it in some kind of food oil for example olive oil or rapeseed oil, then I just soak the waxy stuff from the scent gland with the oiled q-tip. The waxy thing will slowly losen because the oil will disolve its attachment to the scent gland and you get everything away.

Even when Odin struggle, I just make sure he eats something and let him know it will all be over.

I only clean when he start to smell 🤣

Well, I went to the vet to have it done, can't do it alone (10lbs rabbit). Proceedure as Hermelin described, oil, Q-tips. Boy, that stinks.

I thought he had problems with the glands, because he moved and rested somewhat oddly, unfortunatly later it turned out to be athrosis in the hip, he's on permanent pain meds now.

Cleaning the scent glands can be a struggle thank god Odin just weights 720 grams last time I weighted him. But I would rather it be Toste that had problems, he never struggles and will accept all handling. Doing it alone, I use one hand holding Odin while the other need to find the scent glands and holding the q-tip. So not an easy job doing it alone.

I need to clean Odin scent glands because he’s a bit overweight, so every time he tried to clean his scent glands, he would loose balance and tip over. But he have lost a bit of weight and going towards a better weight after my dad learned how to portion up his treats.

But my other bunnies I have never needed to clean their scent glands ☺

Bambi seems pretty clean and doesn't smell so I guess I don't need to clean her scent glands now, maybe I'll do it later if she starts stinking 😂

Bambi seems pretty clean and doesn't smell so I guess I don't need to clean her scent glands now, maybe I'll do it later if she starts stinking 😂

You won’t miss the smell, if you ever need to clean the scent glands 🤣

Yeah, that smell is just horrid. I had to clean them quite often for my youngly ill Musti as his hind leg didn't function for his last two months. Lucky me that he was extremely docile and loved to be handled. Otherwise, moving 5.5kg (12lbs) would've been an extra struggle. Storm is just around 3.7 kg (8lbs) but he absolutely despises all handling so that will be a problem.... he doesn't even let me clean his eyes without hassle...

Our Flemish is 1 yr old. We have never had to clean the glands ourself.
The vet has done it and he seems to do it himself.
Only needed if they start to smell and that may be the culprit.

Seems that's a US thing. In over 25 years of living with house bunnies I have never cleaned scent glands and it has never been a problem. You should only clean them in very exceptional circumstances. If you start poking around in there more gunk gets produced so it's counterproductive.

Latest posts

Back